Mens fashion

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by himji, Nov 19, 2008.

1. himji

himji Sonero

I've lost alot of weight as of late and need to renew my wardrobe so I'm thinkning I should centre at least part of the new wardrobe around salsa :)

I've been mainly wearing well fitting jeans and either short sleeved sirts or fashions t-shirts. I need to ditch the jeans as I sweat alot and I don't tihnk the jeans are helping.

Is there anything I need to consider otehr than keep wearing the shirts/tees but get a few dark trousers to go with them?

2. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

If you sweat a lot you should try wearing a t-shirt underneath a shirt. It can feel warmer but the t-shirt soaks up the sweat and then hopefully doesn't go through to the shirt. I've used that some times.

or you could go for the personal cooling system...

[​IMG]

Generally I would recommend searching for the right kind of material for shirts. I've found some that don't show much sweat (compared to others) and feel nice for the salsera (i.e. they comment how nice it feels).

Otherwise go for sharp lines that accentuate your dancing.

3. himji

himji Sonero

Hmm, that might work Azzey. Ok, I'll give it a try. A thin cotton tee under a long sleeved shirt maybe?

4. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Yeah. muscle vests = bad, since you are then sprinkling the product of your underarms on your partners.

Wicking facbric = bad, since you feel nice and dry but the outside of the garment feels gross to the partner!

tshirt under shirt is a winner since you can sneak away to change the tshirt as often as you need and still look and feel good for your partners.

I found a pair of loose pants in Gap years ago and bought three pairs just for dancing in. I'm on the last pair now and will soon be in the situation of trying to find something cool to wear again! I don't suit jeans since they are hot and once you sweat they tend to be very restrictive and thus energy-sapping.

5. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

i know a bunch of guys, including myself who like running shirts. Adidas makes a line of clima cool shirts that are really good at cooling you down. I wear jeans, but I actually don't sweat that much. I don't think there are a whole lot of choices as far as pants go, but the choice of shirt can make a big difference. I generally like changing shirts every two hours at a hot venue anyway so I bring a couple of extras just in case. I think you should just try it out. Everyone's body is different and you have to just try different things.

Also I recommend bringing a shirt to change into when you go home. Leaving the club or social, soaked from head to toe, irregardless of the jacket you put on, is guaranteed to get you sick this time of year. Start wearing a scarf too.

6. himji

himji Sonero

Hmm, it look slike I'm going to need a kit bag to go along with my shoe bag. I've started to bring a snack bag too. Soon it'll look like I'm going on holiday, not a salsa class :lol:

7. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

yeah i'm used to bringing a book bag with me at this point. it's annoying, but worth it

8. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

I like button down shirts on semi-casual pants on a salsero. Looks great and shows the movement of the body if not too lose.
    A T under would work fine for the sweat problem too :)

9. agarcia97

agarcia97 Sonero

I like to wear Chinos for comfort....Im sure people are like who invited the preppy but the breath really well....Banana Republic bro!

10. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

seconding the 'something that feels nice' vote. :cool:

personally, i like to see shirts with flowers on them, cuz it says a guy's comfortable with his feminine side...

i'd try to avoid clashes - ie, smart shirt with casual bottoms, colour classes - especially when it comes to shoes.

personally, i think the answer to the sweat problem is a towel and frequent changes.

this is very personal to me, but if i see anyone wearing a hat and/or sunglasses in a salsa club, an imaginary arrow with the word 'LOSER' on it pops up above their head... ;):eek: if you really must wear a hat, at least choose one that's not going to fly off every 2 seconds, or cover your eyes so i feel like i'm dancing with someone blindfolded, or cousin it from the addams family, lol...

11. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

So you're saying you prefer men in just a fluffy towel and to change the towel after each dance. :lol:

12. ShineGuy

ShineGuy Son Montuno

What's your beef with hats? I've been dancing with my wide assorted collection of headgear for 3 years and not once has it come off. And that includes catching a variety of elbows, slaps, forearm shivers from various dance partners.

13. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

yes, and change the towel slooooooooowly...! ;):cool:

do you have a hat-shaped head, shineguy...? ;);)

like i said, it's personal to me - i dont like them, personally. to me, it's impractical for someone to wear something that prevents 70% of body heat from escaping, in hot conditions. hats make tall guys 'taller' and therefore even more likely to stretch my arm higher than it should be, and often obstructs eye contact - without which a partner dance becomes pointless to me.

they rarely look good (again all imho) ranging from 'Little Dorrit' to 'The Godfather', via 'Bill and Ben the Flowerpot Men' with perhaps a passing side-trip to a rap concert. ;)

hats at salsa are often worn to draw attention to the wearer and/or to proclaim membership of an elite group. partner dancers who thrive on audience attention are rather like lovers who gaze at themselves in the mirror....and i dont like groups that define themselves by excluding others, or people who gang together like fearful sheep. :eek:

like sunglasses indoors at night, hats just make me think, "why?" ("oh why, oh why?!"). ;)

sorry you asked, right? ;) sorry to be mean - but like i said, hats at salsa are a personal bugbear of mine. i'll defend to the hilt anyone's right to wear one, so long as i keep my right to my silent thought bubble whenever i seen one being worn... :cool:

14. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

I believe climacool is made of wicking fabric, and I second sweavo re. this type of material:

15. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Lol, I wore them for a while. Some are nice.

Overall, i know it sounds silly but I feel it depends on the actual pants not the type. Eg. I have had jeans that made me move like a mummy and others that I could do the splits in.

I like dance cotton pants for practice (nice lines, tight but not to tight). Not sure where to get them or describe, my school sells them here so I bought them.

16. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

LOL you don't mince your words! :roll:

I kinda understand your point re. elite group membership (even though I personally don't mind hats as long as they don't keep coming off). One exception I'd make though is when the guy's got a clean-shaven head... in which case I REALLY REALLY appreciate a head covering of a sort, either a hat or bandana. There was a guy who kept doing a move where I'd end up having to slide my hand from the back of his (sweaty) head down to his neck/back - eeeewwww!

17. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

lol, hey I like how the girls are saying what looks nice on a guy. Keep up the hints *gets pen and paper ready.

Interesting to see that a button up shirt shows off body movement, always thought a t shirt would be better?

18. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

my reaction to that is a little different. Look if you're at a social and you'r dancing for over a half hour, you're going to be drenched no matter what you wear. I've tried it all and there is nothing that works as well as just changing shirts. T-shirt vs wicking fabric isn't a choice. Both will retain the sweat, and it's just that the wicking fabric will keep you cooler let you sweat a little less and it won't stick to your body. The wicking fabric will also wick the sweat down, while a t-shirt holds it in place. Personally I'd rather just be comfortable and change shirts.

After an hour, everyone is sweating on top of each other, it's something you just live with and to be honest I don't even care that much if it's just sweat and not funk. In fact I prefer the sweat because that means I've been dancing ... a lot. Now I'm lucky that I don't sweat much and I generally don't have these issues, but if the choice is t-shir vs clima cool, the choice is obvious. As far as dress shirts over a t-shirt, that's even worse, since not only are you going to sweat even more than normal, it's not comfortable to wear wet clothes that are loose. If you've ever jumped into a pool with a dress shirt and a t-shirt under it and come out, you'll know how heavy it is relative to without. That's my take.

By the way, if you are truly bothered by sweat, then you shouldn't be dancing salsa. Personally I value my own comfort and I'm not going to compromise.

19. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

Thread in danger of being renamed Sweat but hey.....

Yes to an extent but there still has to be a certain degree of good manners involved as it's a partner dance. Dampness is nothing but some guys truly drip. Start the dance dryish and I will accept my involvement in making you sweat along with the consequences but to ignore and take no action at all and start soaking is a bit off for me.

As well as not being so lovely to dance with (yes I will avoid draping my hand around you as you turn if you're soaked through) it's not so nice when a guy comes and says hi with a sweaty face and kisses me hello planting sweat on my face, then dances with me and holds my hand against his soaked neck for ages and then dances closer and soaks my hair too so I leave looking sweaty!

Us who don't really sweat are blessed for salsa but we still practice good manners in other ways. I avoid garlic, shower, clean my teeth and suck the odd mint during the evening. I could eat lots of garlic and so not compromise on food but I choose not to out of respect for my partners.....

20. In defence of us men here and on the dance floor, I should point out that perspiration is not solely confined to men and some gals truly drip too, and I recognise everything you describe, except with women. I'm guessing you don't wear glasses: the sweaty face dripping on the glasses when you kiss cheeks means either seeing through fog for a while or a quick surreptitious glasses clean.