Memorable Salsa Quotes

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by ColdSalsero, Mar 20, 2011.

1. ColdSalsero

ColdSalsero Shine Officer

"IF I GO OUT ON THE DANCE FLOOR, PEOPLE WILL SEE I'M NOT THAT GOOD"

Regarding the worry that some of these very good dancers are watching you and are judging and critical, I have bad news and I have good news:

1) The bad news is that unless you're a really super dancer, they're not watching you. You're being ignored.

2) The good news is that unless you're a really super dancer, they're not watching you. You're being ignored.

3) And if you are a superdancer, and they're watching you with a frown on their faces, it's probably because they envy you, and also they're hard at work trying to steal your material.​

-- Salsa New York, http://salsanewyork.com/magazine/articles/overcoming_fear_of_social_dancing.htm ​

That's right people, I'M WATCHING ALL OF YOU!...I'm trying to steal your moves! :twisted:

2. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

Another good news (and quote) is: "the overall majority of the "very good" dancers in the International Salsa Scene, are only "very good" in their own minds and in the minds of people, who are even more clueless than they are"........

The fact is, no matter how fancy the choreography they use to impress others in club dancefloors, if they are not actually interpreting, that is, adapting to the changes/arrangements of a given song, while dancing to it, then they are mediocre.....

So, I would suggest for all salsa dancers, beginners included, to not be intimidated by the "very good" :)rolleyes:) salsa dancers, and just go and dance and enjoy yourself, doing your best to actually dance SALSA, rather than someone's made up version, because, just a litlle bit of research and understanding - NOT irrelevant acrobatics - will put you ahead of many of the "salsa gods" that frequent the International Salsa club scene. :)

el_flaco_rumbero likes this.
  3. Salsa Bear

Salsa Bear Sabor Ambassador

Well, if this thread is a compilation of salsa quotes, here are a couple:

"Dance like no one's watching." (Something I heard people say a lot.)

One of my faves: "A revolution without dance is a revolution not worth having."

4. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

Both quotes are great! :D

5. kbitten

kbitten Clave Commander

well..a friend of mine told me that frankie martinez once said : "you dance according to the what you listen..if you listen to bad songs ...."something like that..dont know is true ;)

and I got lost in translation kkkk

Sabrosura likes this.
  6. Salsa Bear

Salsa Bear Sabor Ambassador

I wonder if we could turn the first one around:

"Watch like no one's dancing."

7. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

I used to that a lot before I moved to Cali....LOL

8. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

"You all laugh because I dance differently. I laugh because you all dance the same."

Several years ago, one of our local Salsa groups had a T-shirt with a slogan along those lines (although I may not have remembered it exactly word-for-word). I have no idea who originated the quote, and obviously it could apply to things other than Salsa. Anyway, I thought it was a nice testament to individuality.

Irisha and azzey like this.
  9. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

“Want to spend lots of time dancing with ladies?
    Impress them with how good they are!” --- Gerald Cosby

"Nature avenges herself speedily on the hard pedantry that would chain her waves. She is no literalist. Every thing must be taken genially, and we must be at the top of our condition, to understand any thing rightly." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

(That one was not originally about dancing, but I think it sums up the clash between "choreography" dancers and "in the blood" dancers and why it's so hard for the two to even communicate.)

..."When you take dancing lessons, you learn steps and you learn steps and you learn steps. It can go on for a long time. And then one day, you just learn to dance, and it is so different". --Bill Austin

"Technique is how you remove the body's obstructions to the heart's expression."

10. mangomotion

mangomotion Tumbao

Like.

11. chrisk

chrisk Super Moderator Staff Member

A personal favourite mine, which can be applied to salsa, but for other dances as well:

Great dancers are not great because of their technique. They are great because of their passion.
    -- Martha Graham

And some other interesting dance-related quotes:

The truest expression of a people is in its dance and in its music. Bodies never lie.
    -- Agnes de Mille

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance.
    -- Japanese Proverb

To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful.
    -- Agnes De Mille

Dance is the hidden language of the soul.
    -- Martha Graham

To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak.
    -- Hopi Indian Saying

Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts, because it is not mere translation or abstraction from life; it is life itself.
    -- Havelock Ellis

12. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

I've heard the quote attributed to Mark Twain but I don't know if it's true.

"Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like it's heaven on earth."

And here is another from Mark that could be applied to salsa as well :lol:

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”

13. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

I have two feet, why would I dance on one?

Joco and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  14. Francisco

Francisco Sonero

that is actually quite good :D

15. thepresenceon2

thepresenceon2 Rhythm Deputy

The fact is, no matter how fancy the choreography they use to impress others in club dancefloors, if they are not actually interpreting, that is, adapting to the changes/arrangements of a given song, while dancing to it, then they are mediocre......

Isnt this just another way of judging......?

16. Platypus

Platypus Son

Its from a movie, cant remember the name, where the main character, whos a hip-hop dancer said it to bunch of ballet dancers.

17. chr

chr Shine Officer

Yes, this is much truer than funny. The only things I've always envied were leads that managed to get much more out of their beginner or improver followers than I've ever imagined there was in them.

It was one of the worst "compliments" that I've got a week ago: A woman told me after dancing with me that she thinks she needed to take some more classes. Now, that was a pretty obvious red flag for me: I was the one who needed to many more classes. :(

18. chr

chr Shine Officer

:D

And this is much funnier than true... But it's pretty funny... :D

19. ColdSalsero

ColdSalsero Shine Officer

Haha, burn! ;)

20. Soplo

Soplo Banned

"Get me a sandwich."