London Salsa Events Website

Discussion in 'Websites of Interest' started by toan-hoang, Feb 17, 2014.

1. toan-hoang

toan-hoang Descarga

Hi All,

I have built and maintained the London Salsa Events website: http://www.londonsalsaevents.com/ I have received a lot of praise and current get around 1,500 hits per month and growing (this was only launched in August).

I looked for usability and simplicity but now looking to the next features on this website. What are your thoughts? If you were coming to London and wanted to know more about events, what would you like to see?

Kind Regards,
    Toan

Domenico likes this.
  2. Kading

Kading Rhythm Deputy

I might be a small subgroup, but I'm missing if its mostly on1 or on2 or mixed. I can see the difference in cross body etc but that's it.

What I'd also like to see is the biggest events that are coming up in the next few months. I have no idea which events are big, which are small, what can I expect when I get there?

Good site overall though! I wouldn't change much of it. It has a nice user interface. Making it more crowded would, if not handled carefully, ruin the user experience.

edit:
    Now that I look at it a second time. Perhaps it would help the user to navigate quicker is to slightly change the layout and incorporate days (monday/tuesday/wednesday/thursday/friday/saturday/sunday) in it.
    Lets say I go to your site, because I'm in town this week. What I wanna do as quickly as possible is to know what event happens this friday. Now I'd have to look for the date of this friday, after which I have to find the corresponding event.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  3. toan-hoang

toan-hoang Descarga

Hey Kading,

Thanks for your response.

I tried to add types (On1/On2) but a lot of the promoters got really annoyed. One promoter said that the majority of dancers are on2 although they get around 5% On2 dancers vs the rest being On1. Their were other stats that I wanted to put down also got a lot of rejection i.e. floor size, how crowded (spacious, average, busy), music policy. Most promoters want what is the most appealing and don't care about honesty. So to keep everyone happy I had to remove this. I also ensured that the site is as neutral as possible so therefore will not mention which is good or not i.e. up for the customers to decide.

Good point about the day of the week, I will get that into the dates on the event. It would make things a lot easier to spot quickly :D Thanks for that.

P.s. most of London will have clubs with the vast majority as On1 dancers with small groups of On2 dancers in specific corners :)

4. Domenico

Domenico Son

I started dealing with HTML/CSS/Javascrip/PHP circa 3 months ago. I did not know the first about it. Now, I know a bit more about it and I really like it.

I just wanted to say that I like the work you did. It looks clean and plain.
    Tell me, are there listed only those events which register, so to speak, with londonsalsaevents or can a visitor of London really find every salsa event in London ?

5. toan-hoang

toan-hoang Descarga

All the events listed are from promoters who mainly teach and operate crossbody parties and have requested to be listed. Through Facebook message or email. Even though this is a free and neutral services there are still some promoters that DO NOT want to be included even though I have contacted them directly.

The only rule that I have is that if your event is cancelled for what ever reason you have to inform us. Otherwise you face a 6 month ban from the site.

6. Domenico

Domenico Son

I see.
    Thanks for your answer.

7. toan-hoang

toan-hoang Descarga

8. Renold Scott

Renold Scott Changui

I have seen your website. That's great. Thanks for share

9. Smejmoon

Smejmoon Clave Commander

Hi Toan, just letting you know that already 2nd time I've found the website useful.

10. sunsoul

sunsoul Shine Officer

Quick thoughts:

+ clean and orderly
    + good map link for every event
    + nice summaries

- Too light it needs some darker colour
    - How about a concise calendar box somewhere with events listed
    (You do have a pretty good separate page I have just found.)

Good effort!

11. sunsoul

sunsoul Shine Officer

PS What about the Scala event on April 5th?

12. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

I see SOS and TNT on Sundays listed separately under Honorary Mentions, why is that? They are regular events, like all the others, right? I'm curious because I plan to hit TNT in the near future.

13. Salsero_Malo

Salsero_Malo Changui

I think the site is very informative, but I agree with Sunsoul, it could use darker colors. You have to remember some of people have poor eye sight, older computers and not all browser display the same. :)

14. Salsa.mike

Salsa.mike Changui

great site, I have to say it is easier to read than salsa jive, great work!

15. Miri

Miri Changui

very good site and informative

16. thuy92

thuy92 Changui

I might be a small subgroup, but I'm missing if its mostly on1 or on2 or mixed. I can see the difference in cross body etc but that's it.