Learning pachanga

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Zotop, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Zotop

Zotop Changui

Hi all,

Lately as I go social dancing I noticed that I'm developing some habits; I guess it's some sort of personal styling.

I want to get better at styling instead of just learning combination steps.

Saw some vids and attended a short workshop on pachanga and would love to incorporate it in my salsa dancing.

How you guys go/went on how to learn pachanga ?

There's a 6 times class in Mambo/ChaCha/Pachanga coming up and don't know if it will be useful or just a waste of money.

How long it took you to be satisfied with your pachanga :D ?

I ask this question because I am able to learn steps through vids but styling from pachanga or afro cuban movement is something I'm not comfortable with...

2. Sabrosura

Sabrosura ¬°WEPA!

3. Zotop

Zotop Changui

Thanks. I went to a class where they covered a bit of pachanga and I think it's one of those things you learn watching vids and practicing.

4. 3larry

3larry Changui

Pachanga is really cool and it took me quite a while just to start feeling it. What I noticed is that some very famous teachers do pachanga differently and I guess it's just a matter of style. I still don't feel very comfy with my pachanga level but it's coming..

5. HothouseSalsero

HothouseSalsero Rhythm Deputy

There was a Latin dance festival in Albuquerque a couple weeks back and one of the things I was most interested in was a pachanga lesson they were having, but the time was no good for me. Actually, I missed the whole festival, but I'm not that big on taking classes with visiting instructors. I find that consistency helps me more, at my level. Maybe if I were more advanced, I would get a lot more out of one-off workshops.

6. salsamarty

salsamarty Rhythm Deputy

The teacher introduced Panchanga into our shines warmup at class last night. Look interesting. Probably a good way to learn musical rhythms. There are some YouTube videos with Eddie Torres worth watching.

7. 3larry

3larry Changui

I would suggest Eddie Torres or Jorjet videos

8. snowflake

snowflake Sonero

I did a Pachanga workshop last weekend run by Pexava in central London. It was great !

Now I can't say I have mastered it yet, that will take some practice :) but ... when and where am I going to dance Pachanga ??? I never see anyone else do it ? Should I just break into some Pachanga in my little solo shine sections ? Even if we are not dancing on2 ? Please enlighten me :confused:

9. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

When you hear charanga, you can dance pachanga. :)

Nothing to do with on2, since pachanga emphasizes 1357

10. olamalam

olamalam El Sabroso de Conguero

Bircan breaks it down so well, doesnt he?

First of all check some Charanga songs. Even though you can practice your pachanga in any salsa song while dancing on1 or on2, there is a type of music (Charanga) for this dance.
    if you hear stg like this, it is charanga:

11. DJ Ara

DJ Ara Clave Commander

Here is Pachanga dancing Cali Style:

Here is Pachanga dancing from New York, courtesy of Eddie Torres:

Different people will be attracted to different styles. However, it is worth mentioning that here in Cali, the Pachanga is a couple's dance.

achilles007 likes this.
  12. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

It's my understanding that pachanga is a specific rhythm from the mambo era, much like guaguanco, guajira, etc, etc. The songs that actually mention pachanga in their lyrics/title and/or are listed as pachanga on album sleeves all tend to have a faster, possibly more staccato feel than the average mambo. I'm not sure if I could define it, however these pachangas do have a unique sound, and it is not the same as charanga, imo. For a start, not all the pachangas were recorded in the charanga style (I think), e.g. the Benny Velarde pachangas on his jazz album Ay Que Rico.

Although trying to define charanga is a challenge, as apparently presence of violins is not essential.

As re. pachanga and on2: when pachanga was big (early 60s) the vast majority of dancers were on2. Since then it appears to be solely, or mostly, on2 instructors who have revived it (excluding the Colombian version, which is really another dance). To say it has nothing to do with on2 is, therefore, misleading.

13. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

When Pachanga was first introduced to the dance "scene", it was invariably danced solo as a form of shine .
    We never taught partnership.( and, if you dont think that was one exhausting hour....)

14. terence

15. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

I'd love to see film of a 60s pachanga line up (a time machine would be even better).

I had assumed that line ups were a recent importation into salsa.

16. achilles007

achilles007 Descarga

WOW! Beautiful clip!

It never ceases to amaze me the beautiful technicalities of the Colombians in just about every single salsa dance style or form that Ive seen them in!

I wonder where I can purchase this? I don't have a partner at the moment so I'll probably just practice on a wall.

BTW Jorjet has some of the smoothest NY Pachanga I have ever seen.

17. premier

premier Shine Officer

By lines you mean a bunch of people dancing pachanga in a line? Each doing their own freestyle or all trying to do the same steps?

18. achilles007

achilles007 Descarga

19. terence

It originally started with mambo.. an unusual nite, if at least one didnt begin !.. premise for e.g. 5 or 6 guys in a row, one breaks " ranks " and does solo, and so on down the line .( someone would always produce the inevitable " handkerchief ! ) .

I still remember quite vividly, Jimmy Ramos ( a PR teacher ) who invariably got things " going " .

20. terence