January Salsa Weekend in NYC for an On1 dancer?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Big10, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

I'm planning to visit New York City in January 2009, with a couple of nights available for checking out the "scene." Specifically, I will be around on the nights of Saturday Jan. 17th and Sunday Jan. 18th.

I'm a die-hard On1 dancer, but I can get by with some simple dancing On2. I'll also have a female friend with me who dances On1 and knows the basics of following On2. In other words, we will be comfortable dancing with each other if it turns out that we're just hopelessly incompetent by the native's standards. ;) I also prefer live bands, but a great DJ can keep me happy.

So, where do you think we would enjoy going on that Saturday night? A live music venue with a friendly dancing atmosphere would be terrific! (Neither one of us feels like we have to dance with performance-level partners to have a good time.) Generally speaking, though, is there a "don't miss" spot that any visiting Salsa dancer has to visit on a Saturday night in New York City?

I'm assuming that Jimmy Anton's social is still "the" thing to do on a Sunday night, so that's what I'm planning to check out on Sunday the 18th. I do understand that it's a hardcore On2 place, so I'm already expecting to do more watching than dancing at that social (although I'm fine dancing Chachacha On2). Is there another Sunday spot that I should consider in addition to (or instead of) Jimmy Anton's social?

By the way, I'm aware of SalsaNewYork.com and MamboNYC.com, but I just wanted to get some more personalized recommendations -- especially for spots that would be friendly for On1 dancers. Plus, I haven't made my hotel reservations yet, so I wanted to get an idea of which part of town I should target. In any event, I will have a car, which should give me a lot of flexibility for getting to and from any obscure-yet-highly-recommended location.

Thanks for whatever help you can provide! :cool:
  2. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Hey mate,

That sounds AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Pielcanela is a great poster from NY so hopefully you can get some help there.

Also check this thread:

http://www.salsaforums.com/showthread.php?t=8851

My only other suggestion..........take me with you :)
  3. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

I did see that thread earlier -- but it seemed to focus on just Monday-Friday options.

That would be fun! On the other hand, I'd be afraid that you'd steal all of my potential dance partners.....since you know how American women love those foreign accents. ;)
  4. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

the scene you're looking for does exist. I'll ask my on1 friends where they would head on a weekend night.
  5. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Take me with you then - I'd be quite happy to dance on1 ;)
  6. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

On Friday or Saturday night, you might want to check out Gonzalez y Gonzalez if you want live music. Another spot would be Iguanas on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, but there might not be a live band. Also, you might want to see if anything is going on at LQs on Saturday. On Friday, you can check SOBs afterwork crowd to see who is performing. Every Friday Grupo Latin Vibe plays at Parkside Lounge, but I haven't been in awhile so I don't know how many dancers tend to go. Another spot to look into on Saturdays is El Morocco, which is uptown and may have a live salsa band. There are also salsa bands every Saturday @ LOUNGE 108 which is also uptown. Another spot would be Columbus 72 on Fridays, but I don't think there is a live band.

I don't have time right now to give you a break down on each club in terms of ranking them. Some play some regaetton, merrengue and bachata as well if you like that type of music?

This is off the top of my head. If you need some more options, like during the week, I can let you know about other spots with live bands. Hope this helps.
  7. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

I'd highly recommend not going to lounge 108, the crowd is...ummm well you might catch them on a fight night and then the focus will be on espn and not salsa (however the DJ is has great taste). I don't know of many hardcore salseros that go there, although there is a loyal crowd of old timers (it seemed). SOBs I think has on1 dancers, but I've never noticed the percentage. They ALWAYS have live bands on Fridays and they have a really enjoyable samba night on Saturdays.

Grupo Latin Vibe is also at Havana Central late night on saturdays (check their schedule) and at Parkside, but again I don't know how many on1 dancers there are. I do remember email going around from the on1 people about that so you may run into them. Iguanas I would think is almost entirely on on2 since it seems to be the after-party for some of the big socials we have in the city.

I would also look at the two major websites. They won't tell you anything about on1 vs on2, but they will have the major on2 events in the city. You could attempt going there and trying to coax some of the women into on1, but do it at your own risk :p If you want the best dancers, go to the best socials on the calendars of the following two websites and either try to get willing on1 dancers or just switch to on2 yourself :p

http://www.salsanewyork.com/calendar.htm
    http://www.mambonyc.com/calendar
  8. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

I've never been to Lounge 108 ... what was your experience?

Windows Over Harlem is another salsa spot on Fridays. The DJ plays good music, but there are a lot of older headz, which isn't a bad thing, especially if you like to watch classic dancers and you like charanga. It ends early though around midnight.

Iguanas does have some On1 dancers. I would say that Saturday would be the best night for On1 there based on what I saw 2 Saturdays ago.

I've had a good time at both Gonzalez and LQ in the past and I did notice On1 dancers. Gonzalez has steady local bands and a younger crowd and with LQ you have to check the schedule.

I'm assuming you want to stay in Manhattan so I haven't even put Queens, BK or BX on the table, but there is a lot of salsa (On1 and On2). If you have transpo, LI has a spot called the Winners Circle where they have good live bands on the weekends and On1 dancers.

If you have transportation you can also head over to Jersey, where there is more On1, particularly with instructors like Juan Calderon.

OPM seems to have a better read on the trained On1 dance community than I do. If someone can't dance On2, I often assume they are dancing On1, but they may be actually dancing a variable timing or some other timing.
  9. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

One last thing (I hope) On January 17 Poncho Sanchez and Gato Barbieri will be performing at Lehman Center for the Performing Arts. Not sure how much dancing there will be or if there will be an after party, but both of these guys are pretty good.

I'll stop here, but there are probably 30 other live salsa events I can list for those nights.
  10. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

hahaha...i'll skip going into detail on my 108 experience, it's not recommend and unfortunately it's one of the few places left in el barrio. There were no dancers of merit...it's a glaring example of how salsa in new york has almost become an olympic sport, while the old time spots are slowly fading. The spot is about a decade behind in terms of salsa. Go there for a fight night, not for great salsa djing, but the dancing I thought was weak relative to the rest of the city.

BTW at G & G salsa starts at 10:30 or 11 on Fridays. The floor is small but it looks like a great crowd and definitely a great spot to hold a birthday bash.

as for LQ i've heard bad things about the back room and some of the "questionable" genlteman of that establishment. When salsa is on the main floor the place is great, but I've heard bad things from some of my female friends about salsa in the smaller room. Actually some of my favorite live performances are at LQ, but again I only go there when salsa is the main event.
  11. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

Wow, several detailed responses in less than 24 hours....it's wonderful to have such knowledgeable people at my fingertips! :D That's what makes this forum really great!

I really appreciate the time you have taken the time to provide the information -- and anybody else should feel free to chime in with more tips. If this thread fades, then I'll probably bump it again in January to see if there is any new information that I need to know.

Thanks again! :cheers:
  12. PielCanela

PielCanela Sabor Ambassador

AguaDulce and opm1s6, provided you with the best info I have heard about the on1 scene here in NY.

So now that your potential on1 needs are taken care of :).

may i suggest that you give the on2 scene a try.

Saturday Jan. 17th ( there is nothing spectacular going on2 wise, so you can go check out all the other options) however Sunday Jan. 18th. is the Jimmy Antos social.

Even if you cannot dance I think this place is incredible. The first time i was there, was after my first on2 class (after dancing on1 for 6months) an of course i failed miserably. but i was so inspired, it is one of the experiences that got me hooked into on2, and eventually got me to move to NY permanently

you won’t be able to dance on1 at jimmys from the get go, however you could approach a lady and ask if she will be willing to follow on1.
    Also you still have a month and half to go, I would do the on2 basic 7 mim every day, together with the on2 cross body lead footwork for 7 mim more. And I am sure you will develop enough knowledge to survive jimmy's.

also if you pms us,(new york people in the forum) we can help you by introducing you to our friends who immediately become more forgiving once they know your circumstances and have been properly introduced :)
  13. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

i have friends that go to jimmy's and are capable on1 dancers. I say go to jimmy's regardless...if for nothing else than to go to the corner and watch the best do their magic
  14. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Ha ha, the language of dance prevails over all others so you would not have a problem ;)

:)
  15. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Great responses everyone, i really love the NY crew on here. So warm and intensely passionate about their dance!

I second that (was about to post it myself) of going for the on2. Dancing on 1 is probably your comfort zone and gift to the girl (as you know it will feel nice/entertain them) BUT I fear its like getting McDonalds when travelling to a foreign place. You can get your on1 most places but man to dance on2 in NY, to even attend and view an on2 night with the best. That is HISTORY!!! That is magic.

And also as PielCanela suggested, this could be a great goal/driving force to improve an element of your dancing in the interim.

*I bet your on2 is great or at least your on1 skills are transferrable though anyway :) :) :)

**of course not saying your on2 will be as comfortable/advanced as your on1 but why not go there to challenge yourself and absorb as a sponge :) :) :)

*ps I still want to come ha ha :)
  16. salsamarty

salsamarty Rhythm Deputy

My five nights of salsa dancing in NYC were a Monday thru Friday. On Saturday night I went to see the show "In the Heights" at the Richard Rogers Theatre. If you aren't dancing then this is a great show to see if you like latin music. www.intheheightsthemusical.com

Also, if you are going to just about any place in the city then the subway is a great way to travel.

During my 5 nights I had a least two followers announce that they only dance on 1. They didn't seem to have an problem dancing the rest of the night. You should probably do OK too.

Have fun.
  17. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

Okay, thanks, I'll take you up on your offer by sending a PM as the date gets closer. You're the one who'll have to take the heat for introducing your friends to someone who dances On2 like crap.....but, on the other hand, I don't have to worry because I'll be gone by the next day. ;) Hee hee.

Seriously, though, I'm already marking Jimmy Anton's social as a definite destination for that weekend. Houston has a growing On2 scene, so I'll make an effort to practice a little bit of Mambo periodically between now and mid-January....
  18. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

i'm looking forward to your arrival Big 10...You're going to love it!

We've got the welcoming committee preped and ready
  19. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

Check you PMs, I forwarded a contact who is in the cuban scene in NYC.
  20. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

looking forward to the recap of this weekend, wish I was there!!!