I've been on a dance team and...

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by acpjr, Aug 17, 2008.

?

I've been on a dance team and...

1. it improve my social dancing

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. it worsened my social dancing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. i've cool new moves, but my social dancing has changed very little

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. my social dancing hasn't changed at all

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. acpjr

acpjr Tumbao

Tonight I watched a friend perform a routine with the performance team she joined a few months ago.

When I dance with her socially, I notice that while she has a few extra shines and lots more body action her follow seems off and when I turn her she seems to lose balance (even on single in-place turns.)

What's been your experience?
  2. vata07

vata07 Descarga

in my experience, all the girls i dance with that have been on teams have been pretty good in social dancing and their follows have been good. i do notice that the deeper they get into the performance/competitive dancing, they tend to do a lot less social dancing (i assume its because they practice their routine so much that the only night off they have might be our only social night, :confused:).

i do, however, notice that for the leads, the performance and social dancing are two completely different things. i've seen some good choreographies put together on stage but while social dancing, i don't really see any noticeable difference between myself and them other than the fact that they have more "moves" in their repertoire than i do.
  3. vin

vin Sonero

It really depends on your situation and the focus of the dance group. I have seen all sorts of things. For me it helped me become more technically proficient in many ways. I wouldn't even say it gave me more moves than I would have otherwise, but the moves I did learn I learned properly.

I have seen guys use performance learning as a way to up their social dance repertoire but I never really found that to be very successful. Not everything learned for a performance is lead-able in the same way on the dance floor. I was lucky in two ways, one, I stumbled upon a group looking to train leads. Two, the dance group I joined focused on fundamentals and believed that those moves learned for a performance should be lead-able socially as well. We would often work on a move all week and I would unveil it with a partner while social dancing. We always got a kick out of that.

I have also seen similar progress for the ladies. I have seen some ladies become exceptional follows through a performance team experience and yet at the same time I have seen some start to become over-stylers. I am all for giving a bit of time for body movement but sometimes a partnership is derailed when you forget that you are supposed to be dancing together.
  4. Jag75

Jag75 Rhythm Deputy

I know some women that have been heavily into performing from the start, and are abysmal social dancers, yet appear great on the stage. It's kinda strange.
  5. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

I know a couple women on a performance team. They're also regular social dancers, and I think they're among the top follows in town.

As a lead, the advantages I see of being on a team, or taking performance classes is:
    1. You get to practice with committed people over a much longer period of time than you do for normal classes.
    2. You get a lot more attention (and criticism) from the instructor.
    3. When practicing, you get to see exactly how the followers are supposed to move when you lead various moves, so you know what to look for when you try them socially.