Is Guaguanco move-set interchangeable with Yambu?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by achilles007, Jun 29, 2017.

1. achilles007

achilles007 Descarga

Besides the very obvious no-no's of Yambu that are within Guaguanco like the vacunao, the speed, and repeated opening/closing of the male dancer's legs, are the moves of Guaguanco pretty interchangeable with Yambu?

Everyone does Guaguanco group lessons down here, and no one does Yambu. I mean the private Yambu lessons are great for really learning 'quality' movement. But once a month Yambu lessons means learning at a snail's pace.

Thinking of crossing over into Guaguanco for group lessons, and continuing Yambu in private to get the best of both worlds. I just don't want to do it if learning both will come at a detriment to each other's technique.

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  2. achilles007

achilles007 Descarga

Since I'm guessing no one here seems to know. The answer is "Yes". I have finally taken up Guaguanco group classes and the move-set is almost 100% interchangeable. Another well-seasoned male rumba dancer was telling me that Columbia is quite a bit interchangeable as well as long as the "intentions" of the dance are well kept in mind.

One thing I will say that she told me (to my surprise) is that Salsa is completely incompatible with Rumba. And this I have to confirm too. In fact, the muscle memory pattern of how to dance Salsa is so contrary to Rumba that I have stopped doing Salsa altogether and exclusively pursue Rumba in the quest for my dance technique perfection.

tl;dr Yambu = Guaguanco = Columbia, stay FAR away from Rumba if you are serious about salsa. Better off doing ballroom

timberamayor likes this.