Iam currently developing an App for learning basic Patterns for the percussion instruments

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by Tomm, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

Hi I tried to learn some Timbales and Conga Patterns and I got frustrated when I could not do multible things at the same time , like playing Clave with a footpedal and the standard tumbao on the conga, or Playing Mambo Bell and Campana on the Timbales at the same time. My ultimate goal is Playing Conga ,Clave and the core beats of the Campana at the same time. :)

So I thought about making a rhythm app like Guitarhero, where the notes are visualized on a timeline. I think for me this would make the process of getting limb independence much faster.

I plan to include a pattern generater mode where you can place different Symbols/colors and a timeline and make your own patterns, or just import the most basics like tumbao, clave etc and then just loop it at different speeds...

I searched a little for that and the closest i found is the salsabeatmachine website with the visualizer....while its superb for the examples, its sad that the visualizer only shows the conga/clave

Once i get a presentable Version I will put it up here, maybe sombody might be interessted... But I need time, I only coded in School and thats a long time ago :(
    Also my music theory is lacking and Ive got a problem with triplets, thats why i posted this.. :)

Where for example would the triplet in this variation be placed? the music sheet is shown at 0:45

I cannot read music sheets :(

I divide each beat in 10 parts and place the visual markes arcoding to the number.

10 is just the number i use right know, iam probably changing this once i get a better system, for simple patterns using |1,0 : 1,1 : 1,2 : 1,3 |2,0 : 2,1 etc would be much better of course...

anyway with a divison by 10 I get:

Beat1
    1,0 : 1,1 : 1,2 : 1,3 : 1,4 : 1,5 : 1,6 : 1,7 : 1,8 : 1,9
    Beat2
    2,0 : 2,1 : 2,2 : 2,3 : 2,4 : 2,5 : 2,6 : 2,7 : 2,8 : 2,9
    Beat3
    3,0 : 3,1 : 3,2 : 3,3 : 3,4 : 3,5 : 3,6 : 3,7 : 3,8 : 3,9:
    Beat4
    4,0:4,1:4,2:4,3:4,4:4,5:4,6:4,7:4,8:4,9:3
    Beat5
    5,0:5,1:5,2:5,3:5,4:5,5:5,6:5,7:5,8:5,9:3

etc...

So the SON Clave 3/2 hit would be placed on the positions:

I understand the the tripplet wont fall exactly on one of these subdivisions but maybe someone could tell me aproximatley where they would be.so I can understand it better.

The 4 open would be on
    5,0 5,5 6,0 6,5 ?

the 3 triplets after them?

i would place them on aprox. 7,0 7,7 8,5 ?
    Or does it start befor 7 and ends after 8,5?

Thanks to the guy who wrote the salsabeatmachine btw, I know you are on here somewhere, I love the app/website.

2. Marcos

Marcos Son

No offense, but that app has already been out for many years (at least 6). I remember it even included some famous Piano Tumbaos.

3. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

Yeah I use the Salsa Beat machine a lot, its fantastic, but its not doing what I need :) the questions I had about triplet i could figure out...... Right know Iam tring to get it to run on different Phones/Tablets...
    If you know an app(Android) that lets you design your own patterns and visualize it in Guitarhero style please let me know.

4. Dissonant Harmony

Dissonant Harmony Rhythm Deputy

Then divide each beat to 6 equal parts, and not 10.
    {0,1,2} {3,4,5} would be the "halves" or a beat;
    {0,1} {2,3} {4,5} would do for triplets.

When I write music into a sequencer, I divide each beat to 24ths, sometimes even 48ths...:S

Smejmoon likes this.
  5. Groove On

Groove On Sonero

Afro-Latin Drum Machine

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  6. Tomm

Tomm Sonero

yeah there are some apps for Iphone/Ipad but not as many for Android,,, anyway, I finished what i personally need, but its not really polished enough for release.... :)

Dissonant Harmony likes this.