How do you get back on the right timing?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Michele, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Michele

Michele Changui

Hi!
    I would like to know if you have any move I can use to get back on the right timing...
    Just to be clear : sometimes I find myself dancing on 5 and I want to get back on1.
    How can I do that? And how can I do it without loosing the follower?
    Have you got any video of any move I can do?
    I found some related threads but they weren't clear ...
    I'm talking about cuban style
    Thank you

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  2. Tomm

Tomm Tumbao

Just a small information.
    There are some songs that turn the 1 and 5 around....it switches back after maybe 30 seconds or so.
    If you know the song, then switch, if you dont know it, you probaly realise it only after some time, then you switch, and then the songs changes back and you need to change again, so maybe its better just to keep dancing on5

Then there are songs that change it all the time, in these, I dont suggest to switch, even if you know how to do it , it still interrupts the dance a bit, and if it happens every 20 seconds its annoying...

You need to identify the reason , is it the song or is it some figure that does not really work....If its the figure you either need to drop it or "repair" it :)

I had a hard time dancing on5 when I started out, now it doesnt really matter anymore but i still prefer to dance on1, and i will switch back, one method is to do the first part of Dile que no 2 times... 123 567 now switch 123 123 567...you need to lead this of course or it will not work, I think its called "rock step". Check this thread http://www.salsaforums.com/threads/dancing-after-clave-changes.24095/

3. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

Find a break and pause. Then start dancing on the rhythm of your choice. Or sepaeate from your partner to do footwork.

4. Peason

Peason Son

When your partner is still dancing on1 you can lead her into a dile que no and pick up the 1 from there.
    That's what I did when I lost my count.

5. Tomm

Tomm Tumbao

How does this work? Usually my partner will just do very basic footwork and not really change, so when I come back on 1 she is still on5....

6. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

Your question has been asked before ( many times ).. simple answer.. Rock step in place .

7. Tomm

Tomm Tumbao

yeah I can switch via the rock step. But Al Isreal suggest to break into shines to change the timing, and i dont understand how I could change the timing of my partner by breaking connection and doing shines. An expierienced follower would probably change by herself and it would work...

8. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

Hugs. Rocking until you both are on same timing. Letting her go and picking up just right. Just embrace different timing.

Offbeat and Dissonant Harmony like this.
  9. terence

Which begs the question, what if the partner does not know shines ?. More importantly, a closed /close position gives the ultimate control of a partner .

10. Smejmoon

11. Smejmoon

Then make her shine with your star power!

Dissonant Harmony and LarsM like this.
  12. matty

matty Shine Officer

you mean breaking the space time continuum?....:eek: it's too dangerous , nobody ever comes out alive. may the the force of elegua be with you

Dissonant Harmony, vit and Smejmoon like this.
  13. Michele

Michele Changui

Thanks guys! I know the question has been asked already but I can't visualize how to use the dille que no without "interrupting" the dance... and I cant find any video on youtube about that or about the rock step.
    Do i need to separate from the partner for the rock step?

14. HavanaCola

HavanaCola Son Montuno

If you are really concerned abt dancing on 5 being not correct , maybe when the music fits the mood, disconnect with ur partner , both do some free styiing, the connect back on one

Or if there is a break in the music, switch to one also ok

Personally I don't care so much, I would just continue dancing on 5, yes, it may not be technically correct, but No big deal, I will just dance ,lol

matty and MAMBO_CEC like this.
  15. Tomm

Tomm Tumbao

thats very hard to do, best is to wait for a break. "Long " dips (not deep) and stuff like that also works, but the rock step is your best bet at the beginning, its kinda smooth when done correctly, but it is still an interruption of some sort. Doing shines might work, but if the follow doesnt change her timing by herself you still have to lead it in some way. like havanCola said, "learn" to dance on5 it gets easier, and its not wrong...its just that you learned the figures on1 so that feels more natural to you.

16. granrey

granrey Sonero

17. dav7802

dav7802 Son

You can use a crossbody lead to get back on1.

For example, you are currently on5. Do the first 3 steps the way you normally would do a crossbody lead. But instead of letting her cross, use your left hand (and frame) to push her back again for the 1. Then let her cross as normal.

Offbeat likes this.
  18. terence

An "interruption " ?. it's a foundation movement in all latin genres. It takes on various forms ( even in BR dances )...The fwd and back basic in salsa is essentially a rock step .

19. ctcmichael

ctcmichael Changui

If your partner is unaware of the change of counts you will have to guide her a bit more forcefully. You can give them a push on their right hand to make them go back on the 1, which would be the most direct way to do it. You can also try to give them multiple turns on the wrong count (on 5), stopping on 7 and let them step back on the 1. Another alternative can be if you go into the cross body position (should be on count 7 since you are in the reverse timing), maintain a good frame (like a ballroom stance) and lead your partner to do crossover steps on 1234, and finish with a CBL.

In conclusion, turn your partner until they lose count and re-establish the counts, or make them do an extra step on the 4/8 so they are stepping on the correct foot for the count.

20. MAMBO_CEC

MAMBO_CEC Sabor Ambassador