How do we judge what movements look good?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by smiling28, Dec 2, 2008.

1. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Spurred my by arm movement thread.

But what makes certain things look good and others not. I know lines. What else? It is amazing, someone without ANY training can tell you who looks good and who does not but perhaps consciously cannot explain why. Yet subconciously we are ALL aware of this.

How do we tap into this subconscious ability and understand it better?

Can we?

2. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

Slow down mate! At least let one settle for a bit. :) There are still four weeks before the end of the year you know. ;)
  3. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

Yeah, I've been getting comments once again about how I use my left arm while dancing. My instructors months ago forced me to keep it steady, and while I got better, social dancing brought the habit back. It's really just a rhythmic thing that I personally enjoy (actually I enjoy not having to consciously think about keeping my left arm in place). People say it might not look good, but I know it doesn't look that bad and I am sure I like doing it. That is all :p

grrrr
  4. quixotedlm

quixotedlm Sonero

it all depends on how hot the dancer is... ;)
  5. chr

chr Shine Officer

... or how cool the movement... :)
  6. jayzen

jayzen Tumbao

two weeks ago, this board was quiet. i'm gone a week and it explodes! hahahah

anyway, for me, good movement is about control and how the whole movement is executed from beginning to the end. to this end, it should also involve awareness of energy, direction and extension/contraction/lines

j
  7. AndrewD

AndrewD Shine Officer

I think it’s about how natural it looks – of course the issue is that these movements are inherently unnatural. But experienced dancers make these movements part of the overall package – inexperienced ones tend to compartmentalise their actions.
  8. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Once you have lines and completion: It looks good when it's MEANT. An audience can smell hesitation and uncertainty, and they will attack it.

If you almost nail a great movement you got off Frankie Martinez while thinking "hmm, it works for Frankie but I'm not Frankie" then people will say "That guy wants to be Frankie Martinez"

If you do an ugly, inauthentic movement with 100% conviction people will say "wow, that was really unique, where did you learn?". Just watch Napoleon Dynamite if you don't believe me. Oh wait, that's fiction. But I still think there's something in this.