Horrible Accident!!

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by SalsaManiac, Oct 21, 2008.

1. SalsaManiac

SalsaManiac Son Montuno

Just a quick heads up to all out there to never take things for granted and for us to always be careful. One of my really good salsa partners whom I have known for over 3 years in the dance scene here in Albuquerque was involved in a particularly nasty accident that left both of her legs shattered close to the knees :(

I only found out about this when I saw a lot of chatter on her Facebook account and was wondering what all the commotion was about. After a couple days of calling, I finally get in touch with her and only just went to go see her yesterday in the hospital. Apparently, she was leaving one of the local salsa venues here when another salsero was trying to get his car out of the parking lot. He had parked it rather badly behind her car and she was standing between both cars in a humorous attempt to guide him out. From what I gather, he did not realize his gear was in reverse so when he hits the gas, his car pins her legs to her car such that her left femur is broken right above the knee and the right femur is shattered.

It was so painful visiting her in the hospital yesterday because she has always been a very beautiful and graceful dancer. Her life was centered around it because she wants to be a professional. Now she has metal rods sticking out of her legs and we have no idea if she will ever regain full use of her legs :( The prognosis is that she'll need at least 6 months to heal and lots of physical therapy afterwards. The salsero involved apparently has been to the hospital many times but has not quite worked up the courage to go visit her (I don't blame him because I'd feel pretty crappy in that situation). What's even worse is that her mom hasn't even tried to be there for her even after learning of this. I can't say if it's because she is handling it very badly emotionally or she just doesn't care.

Anyway, just hoping that you guys keep her in your thoughts and for those that might have danced/talked with her during this summer's Palm Springs Salsa/Mambo festival when the Albuquerque crew were all there, her name is Cierra ...

--T
  2. Jambo

Jambo El Sabroso de Conguero

OMG that's awful, the poor girl :(. Sounds like she'll have a long journey to recovery ahead and I hope her friends will help her through it. I've been there and I know how painful it is, not just physically but emotionally :(
  3. El Caobo

El Caobo El Sabroso de Conguero

This is really a sad story! Wow!
  4. Wow, that is horrible...

I hope Cierra can regain the use of her legs and continue on her dancing career.
  5. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

That's terrible! Let's all hope that she recovers and can dance again. It sounds like it's going to be a long and tough process.
  6. Roo

Roo Son Montuno

That's horrible! I wish her lots of good thoughts in her recovery. And for the salsero in dealing with it as well. That's going to be tough on both sides.
  7. quixotedlm

quixotedlm Sonero

What a pity!

I hope the driver or his insurance is covering all aspects of medical and rehabilitation expenses, loss of pay due to inability to work etc.

-----------
    I was once dancing with a girl who was generally very good, but out of control. She had (and still has) a lot of promise, was sufficiently skilled and beautiful to have good dancers pay attention to her all the time, and yet didn't have the sill (or perhaps the inclination) to stay small and only do things that were totally safe.

We were dancing in a tight floor in a club, and she kept spinning herself more times that I lead (for e.g., if I lead 3, I could never be sure if she was going to do 3, 4, or 5 :)). This is all fun when there is space around us, or if all couples nearby are very disciplined. Except in this case, she drifted off a bit and a salsero nearby also drifted off a LOT into our space at the same time, and tripped her. She fell on her knees - and it didn't break, but an old injury flamed up. She had to be rushed to an ER and spent several weeks regaining normal use of her feet, followed by more therapy. In all this, I was the only 'apparent' cause for the accident (although she was fully aware that it wasn't my fault). It put her out of dancing for several months, although she came back (but didn't have the same passion for learning and growing as before).

Lesson of these stories - People make mistakes that are seemingly small, with unexpected and surprisingly huge consequences. Protect yourself proactively even if that means avoiding that up-and-coming popular/cute/etc. dancer who is unsafe.

And oh, don't stand in the way of cars.
  8. noobster

noobster Shine Officer

9. Aris

Aris Changui

10. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

my goodness, my heart and prayers go to Cierra.

I truly hope she can find the silver lining and if it is any consolation one of my FAVOURITE dancers in the world recovered fully after not being able to walk despite the Doctor's prognosis.

All the best!
  11. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

Oh man, that's sad. Hope she makes a full recovery.
  12. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Heavy stuff. I'm not a Christian, and I don't know the people involved, but I'm praying for them all anyway.
  13. chrisk

chrisk Super Moderator Staff Member

It's already very sad to hear such a story, but reading that her mother hasn't been there for her, makes it for me extremely sad and painful. I'll hope she's going to have some good friends that are going to be there for her and give her all the support that she needs. In the meantime, my thoughts are going to be with her as I wish her the physical and the mental strength to regain use of her legs and even some day manage to dance again.
  14. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

I tell myself regularly how lucky I am to live an able bodied life where I can take part in the sports I enjoy.

Hope she mends soon, even though I know from having to be out of other sport through injury, it never feels soon enough.

Moral: Be grateful to be out dancing at all and stop moaning about the little things :)
  15. Salsamakossa

Salsamakossa Shine Officer

Hey SalsaManiac,

That is very sad to hear. I danced with Cierra a few times while I was out there and can attest to what a nice person and dancer she seems to be. I wish her the best as she slowly recovers and that she will regain full use of her legs.

16. CrystalC

CrystalC Son

omg... sad to know this.

A gf of mine who used to teach hip hop cant dance anymore or at least for a very time due to leg injury. For people who see dancing as their life, it is very hard for them to cope when something like this happened.

I wish Cierra well and recover soon......
  17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

What a shame. I wish her only the speediest and most complete of recoveries.
  18. SalsaManiac

SalsaManiac Son Montuno

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. She had a particularly rough day today because she is being made to stand up in physical therapy which apparently started a couple days after the accident (talk about hardcore doctors!). She was also told this morning that her recovery is going to be longer that originally expected :(

Luckily she has a lot of friends here who have been streaming in everyday on a constant basis to keep her company. I only hope I'm half as blessed with friends if something like that were to happen to me.

--T

p.s: There is even a facebook group now that has been created for her recovery progress.
  19. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

wow - you are doing well SalsaManiac and I am glad she has good friends like you!
  20. Jag75

Jag75 Rhythm Deputy

Whoa that's awful!!!! I don't know how I'd cope if that happened to me - knowing how much I love to dance and I imagine she's got a long road ahead of recovering physically (fingers crossed) as well as emotionally - right now more than anything she needs her family and friends for support - she's lucky to have friends like you.