Hitting New York...

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Pax, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Pax

Pax Son Montuno

Hello salsa-people,

I will be in New York for almost two weeks, from April 27 (this Sunday) to May 10. Since I am a total beginner to the city, including the salsa scene need your help! :D

* Please give advice on the best on2 venues. If you have suggestions for each night it would be great!

* We aim at taking some private lessons, please give advice on good ET2 teachers. A teacher that is technical and methodical is preferable. We want to improve technique rather than learning new patterns and footwork.

* We also aim at taking some class lessons, which ET2 teachers have drop in classes?

Thanks for your help All,

2. Capibaribe

Capibaribe Sonero

Some limited advise from a non NYer, bet others will chime in when they wake up :)
    Check out the Salsa NY calender at mambofateegz.com I believe everything is there :) Jimmy Antons and Mambo fateegz socials is goood!!
    Don't go over the stream to fetch water (or some other silly saying). Go directly to the source, the king of mambo!

3. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

where's oncent when you need him :)

4. PielCanela

PielCanela Sabor Ambassador

hey :) send me a PM, we sure need to make plans to meet :) about lessons almost every instructor has drop in lessons, now if you want technique you will probably be better off with a private, groups are mostly patterns, technique is also addressed in those classes, but no where near what you will need if technique is what you are looking for.

of all the group lessons that i have visit I think danceon2 with melanie torres (daugther of eddie torres) has the most technique (again relatively speaking). Frankie will have some technique but hist stuff is so advance that I think if you need technique you better stick with the basics.

now if this is your first time in NY I do think that you should visit eddie, frankie, and santo rico, I think these lessons, more than just teaching events, are in fact incredible experiences that every salsa dancer should have

5. PielCanela

PielCanela Sabor Ambassador

oh and once you are here just keep in touch and i will tell you where the salseros will be at any given day :):)

6. Salsamakossa

Salsamakossa Shine Officer

Hey Piel,

I will be in NY in early May too, and I need info on the places to go. Thinking of Club cache amongst them, since I had heard it is a good spot. I would also like to address the safety/transport issues to any of the spots if you don't mind...

7. Salsamakossa

Better technique than Eddie himself? :) :)

8. Pax

Pax Son Montuno

Excellent, count on me harassing you with questions on a daily basis then ;) I will send you a PM with my contact details.

@Capibaribe

I know of the SalsaNewYork calendar (salsanewyork.com/calendar.htm), the MamboNYC calendar (mambonyc.com) and now your suggestion, mambofateegz.com.

Questions is, which is the one to go by? They all seem pretty good though.

@Salsamakossa

We will be two persons from Sweden, so if it suits your and our schedule, location etc. we could join up to go to the venues if you like.

9. noobster

noobster Pattern Police

Salsanewyork and MamboNYC are both very good and up-to-date. For irrelevant political reasons there are a couple of events listed on MamboNYC that don't get on Salsanewyork. The Mambofateegz calendar is not as well-maintained (they don't always change the calendar when an event is cancelled, etc.).

10. RickM

RickM Changui

Kind of related question - is there anywhere to dance or take classes on1 on NY? I read some website that made it sound like anyone who would dare to dance on1 there would be tortured and thrown in the river.....

11. Salsamakossa

That's true, but you have to choose which river .. lol.

12. noobster

noobster Pattern Police

That's a little silly, but there are lots of people in the NYC on2 scene who don't know *how* to dance on1, so you aren't assured of finding partners.
    There are scads of people in the NY metro area who dance on1, but they are mostly Latinos who learned at home and are casual social dancers (vs the addicted-to-spins type), so there's not a studio network.

You Should Be Dancing on 34th street and 8th ave teaches salsa on1 and hosts on1 socials as well (you have to know which ones they are though - not the Frankie Martinez one, but the 'mixed dance' socials that include a salsa room).

Does Eddie teach technique at all? What I saw with his class was lots of fast shines and then a pattern, similar idea to most other instructors except that his shines (and pattern actually) are way crazier than what most people try to teach (he builds them up from week to week).

13. Salsamakossa

Noobster,

Are you serious? I am going strictly from the youtube clips I have seen of him in his classes (and workshops). I have found his patterns to reflect what I consider his style, and have good technique. His shines have not been difficult either, but no doubt there might be many more that are complicated, going by some of the shines on Seaon styling's DVDs, since he was one of his students.

I definitely don't like the 'build up' approach...

14. elemental2

elemental2 Changui

Im in NY also that month rond mid may 14ish and trying to find events, venues, places or lessons; free or relativly inexpensive to goto while im there ?? :confused:

15. Salsamakossa

Hey Piel Canela, Noobster,

No comments on safety/transportation issues when it comes to going to the NY clubs?

16. noobster

noobster Pattern Police

NYC is (I think) the 3rd safest "large city" in the US (seems it still has something of a bad rep left over from the 70s and 80s though - I do remember things were a lot sketchier when I was a kid). Safety is not an issue now in most areas.
    The only social where I felt a little iffy going by myself was that one in the Bronx, I think it was Yamulee. That one's not super well attended anyway. Santo Rico is in a sketch area as well (they seem to like the low-budget neighborhoods, first Washington Heights and then East Harlem -guess they get more studio space for their buck) but they don't have a big regular social anyway as far as I'm aware, just little events for their own people.

Mambonyc.com has subway directions to all the events it lists; but really any schmoe can look at a subway map and figure out where to get off. Google maps have all the subway stops marked (so you Google map the address, find the nearest subway stop, then consult the subway map for routing information). Easy.

maps.google.com
    mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm

I didn't say Eddie doesn't *have* good technique, I said he doesn't *teach* it in his group classes (as far as I was able to ascertain).

So maybe we should clarify what we each mean by 'teaching technique'?

My private instructor for salsa (who was an Eddie protege) 'taught technique' in that he would go over in detail what aspects of my movement and posture made a move work well vs poorly. The guy I'm taking WCS from now (private and group) 'teaches technique' in that he pays tons of attention to the dynamics of the move, momentum, details of lead/follow, etc. I did not take a whole lot of Eddie classes but in my limited experience with his classes I definitely did not see any of the above.

Actually I have never encountered a salsa teacher who 'teaches technique' in a group setting. My privates guy didn't do that in his group classes either, for the record. They all teach shines and patterns, which is what's easiest to do in a large group (Eddie's classes have like 50-100 people in them, there's barely room to do the shine anyway). I was amazed at my WCS teacher's ability to address these issues in a big group class.

17. peachexploration

peachexploration Maestro 'Timbalero' Puente

Agree with you there, Noobster. Technique is not easiest to teach in large group settings in my opinion. Too many people with just as many needs. Especially, if it's a beginner class.

Okay, back to venues in the NYC....:D

18. Salsamakossa

Noobster,

Super duper!! I read a comment somewhere about the Yamulee gig, so I wanted to be a bit cautious, since I won't be alone. And yes, I have been to those sites to check out the info they have provided.

K, I get your point ref. ET's technique.

19. Salsamakossa

Just giving feedback about the NY trip. I made it to Club Cache and the Abakua Social. They were both awesome experiences. I went with no expectations and I guess that helped. I found the crowd friendly and the level of dancing very good, ranging from beginners to advanced dancers, especially at the social, which had Frankie and Lori Perez in the house on the nite. Needless to say I got a dance with Lori.. lol. I guess the only downside was probably leaving a bit early to catch those bus/train deadlines at 1.30am argh.

20. Pax

Pax Son Montuno

Hi All,

I am also back since a few days from NYC. A lot of impressions from the NYC salsa scene was made, we were out almost all nights during our two week stay. I would like to bring up one observation in particular, and it is unfortunately not very positive. I fully understand that these things are rather sensitive, so please do not take this as anything else than an honest discussion around this observation, I do not mean to criticize any individuals whatsoever:

During the years I have been dancing salsa I have been around a number of different places in Europe and once in the US, Seattle, both at regular socials and the like and at congresses. From this I have gotten at least a decent picture of what the salsa is like in these different areas. Particularly Scandinavia where I live, but also London which I have visited a few times recently.

When I compare my previous experiences to the NYC salsa scene, one thing that strikes me is that I found the ladies partner work skills generally to be comparatively poor, very surprisingly. With partner work skills I mean things like lead/follow connection, smoothness, agility, and movement direction correctness (e.g. to overturn or turn to little coming out of a turn so that it disturbs the lead).

There are probably many partial explanations for this, including:

* Dance style difference, generally the NYC ladies required heavier lead. The NYC dancers in general seem to have a more vivid style than in Scandinavia and London where I find the style to be tighter and more stringent. Maybe (probably) the NYC style that you see on the floor is actually a quite close descendant to the NYC nightclub style.

* Maybe NYC focus on styling skills rather than on partner work skills. In fact when I danced with some ladies I noticed that while them IMHO not being overly proficient in partner work, they had much styling going on and also many quite advanced foot work/styling combinations, to me indicating that they had put much effort into that, and less into partner work technique.

* As a continuation to the last bullet, is it so that the teachers in NYC focus the dance training for the ladies to styling/foot work rather than partner work skills as defined above? Does the scene overall promote development of styling skills rather than partner work skills?

* Or finally (and perhaps most probable), is it just me who is rambling away and do not know what I am talking about? ;)