Group Dance Journal :)

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by smiling28, Dec 27, 2009.

1. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

I know similar threads are around but perhaps not as structured so do please feel free to delete this if it is redundant but having danced last night I am inspired so:

Post your dance night recap as per the following (feel free to suggest better/additional questions)

1. When Did you dance?

26 Dec 2009

2. Where? *and brief description especially if a new scene

Brisbane, Australia. Saturday night party 50/50 zouk and Salsa. About 30 or 40 persons roughly in a school hall. Small but nice atmosphere with an 'underground' feel as it was not nightclub zone on a Saturday night so it felt like a cool private party that I was invited to even though I knew no one previously.

3. When and where did you last dance?

My loungeroom, Middle of nowhere Australia. Last social would be Brisbane in November for a business trip.

4. So how was the night?

Great. Had some nice dances. Met a lovely girl from France but completing her PhD here. Monopolised her for at least 5 dances and will hopefully meet up again mwa ha ha

5. Best moment?

Being asked to dance is always such a compliment, pleasure and honour. eg.

A older lady asked me to dance. I rarely say no and only for a significant reason. It was bachata so I was aprehensive in that I LOVE my bachata and needed some great dances and they barely played any but I accepted and had a really fun dance. It was great and at the end of the night the lady came and especially thanked me. How sweet!

6. Most interesting moment?

Seeing people dance zouk to salsa music. Hey, as long as they have fun :)

7. Did you learn something new or reinforce a belief? If so please explain.

Having not danced socially for some time it was great to see my leads were generally well received except for one or two which are not smooth yet and need refinement. The best feedback for me is often how a move I lead is received with new followers/new scene. I can then address it in a private later (when I am in society and not with the kangaroos in social isolation of course :) )

8. Of course, when are you going dancing next?

Tonight. Bring it on

9. Bonus: Something else you like to add

For me, I drove 1.5 hours each way to get to the dance night in extremely bad driving conditions (intermittent pouring rain). Will do it again tonight, ahhh the power of Salsa :)

2. chr

chr Shine Officer

1. When Did you dance?

22 Dec 2009

San Francisco, Cafe Cocomo, Charanga Habanera live performance

4. So how was the night?

Lousy...:D Seriously: it was quite decent.

5. Best moment?

Nothing special. Maybe, when C.H. finally came to the stage and opened with a classical NY-style mambo. I did not expect to dance line style that night.

During a dip I torn my pants, fortunately I had a spare pair in my backpack. Still, it was a shocker.

At latest next Wednesday in Palm Springs, CA at a five day salsa NYE event.

The cab driver who drove us home was a Cuban music fanatics who spent several years in Cuba and taught us a lot about current Cuban bands, demonstrating everything on his car-stereo, while driving. Impressive.

3. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Great job CHR - especially the cab driver

1. When Did you dance?

28 Dec 2009

Brisbane, Australia. Sunday night at Casablancas. Good friendly vibe.

Brisbane Saturday night party 2 days ago (visiting Brisbane for 4 days)

4. So how was the night?

Great. Had some nice dances. Met some nice people and was asked to dance again which is such a lovely compliment.

5. Best moment?

As always, I LOVE being asked to dance. Especially as a new person/visitor to the scene. Eg. Got a fair few nos to start the night but by the end was getting asked. Also, girls I had asked and who said no on a previous visit actually asked me this time (not realising I am the same guy mwa ha ha)

Plus watching everyone have fun dancing the merengue

The merengue. Great to see people just being silly and laughing.

That no matter the night and place there is ALWAYS someone that can make your night and that you can make their night. It is just finding them so keep asking!!! :)

Sob sob, back to the mine for me. I expect perhaps the Sydney Salsa Congress end of January.

There is an organiser Jean Luc in Brisbane. SUCH a great and generous guy. Truly understands and shares the spirit of Salsa. A great vibe!

4. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

1. When Did you dance?

Last night, Dec. 26, 2009

Mambo Lounge, Portland, OR. It's a large ballroom above a theater. The local band Caliente was playing.

4. So how was the night?

Really good. I went there because 3 women offered to pay my cover.;) (No, I didn't let them.) Lots of my favorite partners were there, and I also had nice dances with beginners.

5. Best moment?

Got to dance with one of the dance-team members, and we (probably she) got applause afterwards. She's an awesome dancer that I usually can't get near.

Danced with the keyboardist from the band, and she seemed familiar. I recalled the band leader saying she was visiting from LA. I asked her about that, and she said she played in the band Son Mayor (something like that). Then I remembered that they played at Mama Juanas when I visited LA last year, and I danced with her then.

Tonight at the Hobnob Grille.

I had fun dancing with a few beginners, including a couple of first timers. I love showing new salsa dancers a good time on the dance floor.

5. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

1. When Did you dance?Last night, Dec. 26, 2009
    2. Where? Mr Mambo social in DC, because the people are great :)
    4. So how was the night? Good as usual, lots of people showed up (one of the area instructors was celebrating a birthday and there was a meetup), good dancing. The music was pretty bad at times, but I never expect much any way.
    5. Best moment?-I baked cookies and people liked them :)
    6. Most interesting moment? *shrug*
    8. Of course, when are you going dancing next? PALM SPRINGS!!!
    9. Bonus:What were you wearing? (a glaring omission, but it's ok smiling, you're a guy, you don't pay as much attention to this as some of us :) ) my version of dressing down: black danskin pants, black top with rhinestone serpentine on the back (I need to get the rhinestone gun out and fix some of them)

6. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

A omission that was strongly considered yet finally omitted in the interests of Disney and a family orientated website tee hee. Plus it could get out of control eg. I wore 8 week old underwear and a fluorescent pink mesh t shirt............*shudders :)

Yet a welcome addition if you like. Funny you mention it, it was exactly what I was considering when creating the bonus section.

7. salsamarty

salsamarty Rhythm Deputy

1. When Did you dance?

26 Dec 2009

San Francisco, Cafe Cocomo. Fairly large dance floor. Tall ceilings. Live bands Thursday-Saturday but salsa also on Monday and Wednesday. Thursday is the best night.

22 Dec 2009. San Francisco, Glas Kat.

4. So how was the night?

It was a great night. Special guest band was Johnny Polanco. A lot of good dancers but still not too crowded.

5. Best moment?

Danced with someone I hadn't dance with for a very long time. She always has a great smile and is always so much fun to dance with.

Watching a really profession band play

I learned how long I can dance before my legs give way . . .

Tuesday. Glas Kat