Good Salsa Deeds

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by smiling28, Feb 11, 2010.

1. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Hey team,

Feel free to share yours given or received.

The thread was inspired by a SUPER cool dancer in Sydney.

At the recent Sydney Salsa Congress, I was doing the Johnny 'Energiser Bunny ain't got $@#@' Vasquez workout/pattern class :)

There was one super tricky part of the pattern, a fancy handflick illusion. It was the only part i was struggling with and the couple next to me, stopped and helped me through it enabling me to get the pattern. I honestly felt one BILLION dollars.

Thank you beautiful couple, you made such a difference to me and inspired me to help others too!!!

2. Jag75

Jag75 Shine Officer

LOL yeah Johnny Vasquez is a freak!!! He's so damn good with those shines and spins! I found he, Victor and Burju, Magna, and several others from overseas to be geniunely nice people (well to me anyway :) ). Hey once you learn the fancy handflick illusion you'll have to show me how it's done - I didn't attend that particular workshop...

I always dance with people from all levels - not because I do charity dancers (I HATE that expression!) but because I genuinely enjoy mixing up my dance with partners of all experience levels and styles, and I suppose I make it a bit of a personal mission to ensure I dance with as many followers as possible in one night and have them thoroughly enjoy it. I also find I benefit from it as my lead improves beyond what I used to ever imagine and I can dance with anyone, of any level, which is immensely satisfying.

If I find a girl is not getting any dances for whatever reason I'll ensure I ask her for a dance, as I hate the thought of someone going somewhere to dance but not getting asked.

3. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

Ditto !!

4. SalsaManiac

SalsaManiac Son Montuno

tritto!

5. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

I hope to add to this thread oneday :)

6. kerry.alder

kerry.alder Sonero

I like your story! It is good to know that the salsa scene is not every girl for herself.

On one of my trips abroad, I was in a salsa club. There was a gentleman there wearing big black rimmed glasses, his hair was super slick with gel, he had on a Microsoft Windows Vista shirt, checkered suspender pants and saddle shoes. None of the girls would even walk near him. I just happened to be wearing one of my nicer outfits, being an emerald green, low cut dress with glittery sequins and my Nine West boots. I also am a decent dancer so I was dancing non-stop for a while. I took a water break, then approached the gentleman in the checkered suspender pants and asked if he wanted to dance with me. He agreed and we danced. He was actually a pretty good dancer and we even got asked to dance on a platform stage which visible from anywhere in the club! He got noticed and after that dance, other girls started to approach him and dance with him.

7. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

Tonight I did the whole NYC salsa scene a favor, I stopped dancing for half an hour.

8. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Great story,

I have benefited from this and also seen girls I dance with get asked a lot. REALLY cool and great feeling!!!

9. I was out someplace one night. Later on in the night I was considering leaving after a couple more songs, and just so happened that I got turned down 4, 5 times in a row. It's not that big of a deal getting turned down -- it's more taxing on my memory than anything because I want to remember not to ask them again by accident; repeatedly asking someone that's not interested in dancing with me is just an exercise in "how to be annoying".

So I asked one more lady, she said she's tired from the last dance and wants to sit this one out. So by then I gave up, and decided sure, the night ended on a low note, but I'm outta here anyway. She offered to dance with me later, but I told her thanks but no thanks, I'm leaving. So she said ok, I'll dance with you now.

I thought that was very nice of her, we danced, she's a good dancer too. I thanked her, and left the club very much appreciating her niceness. And she made my night better.