Finding the right distance in bachata

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Brutha, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Brutha

Brutha Changui

When I dance with an experienced follow I can usually feel very well which distance is comfortable to the girl.
    If I however dance with a follow that didn't danced much bachata before I don't know whether I'm pulling her to close or whether the distance is okay.

How do I tell whether I'm dancing to close in those instances?
  2. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

Welcome to the forum, Brutha!
    I have this problem as well. But it just dawned on me, it's the "pulling" that is the problem. From now on my rule is to move forwards until I'm comfortable and let her move backwards until she's comfortable. That's the distance set!
  3. Brutha

Brutha Changui

How do you lead the forward movement of the follower without pulling?
  4. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

I mean you simply move towards her at the start of the dance while allowing her the freedom to move away from you if you, e.g. while doing some simple basic steps with very light hold, move closer during a couple of basics and see how she adjusts the distance. Then you can start to lead more firmly and do turns etc.
  5. SalseraRita

SalseraRita Son Montuno

I am a follow and what I find works best in bachata is this: you need to have a close connection on your partner's shoulderblade or lower. The follow must pose a small resistance and also be connected to the lead's shoulderblade - this is important for the follow to feel any change of step patterns, fast 360 pivots etc. Initially, a good bachata dancer leads with his entire body. The followers right arm/leads left can be up, down or open, the connection from the waist and the other arm are the most important.

I never cared for "open" bachata much, though it might be the best choice when you dance with a complete stranger. However, bachata is a close and sensual dance.
  6. Brutha

Brutha Changui

The problem is that a beginning follow sometimes doesn't know how much resistance to provide but might instead step closer without really wanting to be close when there's a little pressure on her shoulder.
  7. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

Generally if she feels uncomfortable you'll know it. She might put her left hand on the front of your shoulder and push you away. If you feel a lot of pressure there, try moving away from her a little.