Feedback on my new website dedicated to salsa music

Discussion in 'Websites of Interest' started by Salsero_Malo, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Salsero_Malo

Salsero_Malo Changui

Hey people...

My name is Jose, from Cleveland Ohio. I am an avid salsa fan, so I decided to create a website dedicated to salsa. I'm not sure what I want out of it, but it gives me an excuse to listen to the music I love.

Can you guys give me some feedback on the site, and which direction I should take it. Any feedback or advice, good or bad is appreciated :D

Here is the site salsacabrona.com

2. David

David Administrator Staff Member

I would say that much of the information on the site could also be found on Wikipedia. There has to be something more to give it an edge. You have these articles there, but no multimedia. I'm sure you put some time into writing, and that's good, but you need to do something more than invite people to read articles. Comments section might work but that takes time to develop.

Salsero_Malo likes this.
  3. timberamayor

timberamayor ¬°WEPA!

Are you sure that Cabrona is the name you want to use? Maybe people in your area use it in a different way but it often means b*tch, sl*t, maybe in the best sense a bad *ss chick? Are you truing to say Bad *ss salsa as the name of your site?

Salsero_Malo likes this.
  4. Salsero_Malo

Salsero_Malo Changui

When I started the site, I had alot of salsa videos embedded from Youtube, but since Google is doing a major algorithm change, and penalize websites that are not mobile optimize, I decided to redo the whole thing. Google spends millions on research and technology, so if they are saying most people are viewing the internet through mobile phones, it's time to adapt or get left behind :)

When I first started the site with video's, it was slow to load, and not very mobile friendly, so I changed my plan, and redid everything so it loads fast, and is seo and mobile friendly.

With all the mobile data limits and low speeds, I decided to do away with videos for now. The articles are common knowledge for salsa music lovers, but to feed the search engines never ending thirst for content, I'll have to keep adding them. My ultimate goal is to have an internet salsa radio station on the site, but I am still researching the licensing fees for the music. I'm going to add a comment section, like you suggested, but not sure what I will use. I was thinking about using facebook comments, but don't want to spend the whole day cleaning up spam.

I was thinking the same. I'm Puerto Rican, so it means all of the above, but for the site I was looking for Bad @ss :)

It's been on my mind for a few days now, but since you mentioned it, I will do away with that domain, and use something without the word cabrona, I don't want to chase anybody away or offend anyone.

Looking at the analytics from my PPC campaign, I had a great CPC, but noticed the CTR was not as good. I'm guessing it was from having the word cabrona in the domain.

Thanks for the feedback you two, I will definitely be implementing your feedback on the site :)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    timberamayor likes this.
  5. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

Good idea - maybe you could change it to salsaputa or salsapendeja?

Anyway, the home page looks good and it's nice to see someone who doesn't think 'salsa' solely refers to a dance. However I tried to look around the site and that was a disaster. I went to the Biography page:
    no content except a link to another page - why do I have to click again when I've already made it clear what I wanted to see?
    no menu at the top of the page - discourages people from exploring further
    the content isn't really relevant - Biography suggests a bio of you
    when I did click on the link it opened in another tab - you should only have this for external sites
    and the promised bio wasn't there anyway

Nonetheless a good starting point. (Personally links to Youtube are a turn off, unless in moderation and used to illustrate writing.)

6. El Caobo

El Caobo Maestro 'Salsa' Palmieri

I like what it appears that you're trying to achieve, but you should definitely change the name of it, IMHO.

7. Great Site! Awesome!

8. DJ Yuca

But Dorothea, the site isn't even up. Please explain yourself.

9. Bradley Frank

Bradley Frank Son Montuno

I wouldn't add "puta" with Salsa, it disrespect to any women. This is one of worst bad language in Latin America.

10. DJ Yuca

Sorry I was just making a joke - no offence meant to anyone. However my point is: using that word is not too dissimilar to using the word cabrona (which is why the op has said he's changing the name of the site).

11. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

LOL !!

DJ Yuca likes this.
  12. tienbede000

tienbede000 Changui

uppp.........

13. Piglet

Piglet Changui

Sorry, Who can help me? I can't access to the website: salsacabrona.com