Favorite Son Music?

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by tocatimba, Oct 17, 2011.

1. tocatimba

tocatimba Shine Officer

When you want to dance son or even just for listening, what albums (or songs-artists) come to mind?

I have Albita's album Son. I have Polo Montañez two albums. I bought an album by the Septeto Nacional and by Son Varadero recently.........what do you think is really good?

2. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

I like Sierra Maestra as well and you should check out Septeto Santiaguero. They won Cubadisco this year and were nominated for a grammy I believe.

3. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

This is an old one: Conjunto Yumuri - La Paella. Hard to get but can be found, it was recorded in Miami.

4. JimLad

JimLad Changui

+1 on Sierra Maestra

A few of the other albums/bands I enjoy
    Afro Cuban All Stars
    Yovenes Clasicos del Son - in particular their Tambor en el Alma album
    Pio Leiva y Los Mentirosos - Pio Leiva la Salud de Pio Leiva
    Orquesta Termidor - Un Bolero Para El Benny

You have reminded me my playlists for son need a bit of tlc as I haven't listened to them for a while. That's now on my todo list for thisevening

5. timberamayor

timberamayor ¡WEPA!

Oh yeah and I also really like the CD Cuban Soul by Asere.

6. EMOYENO

EMOYENO Pattern Police

Is that the Original? dont know much about it, but the song I've heard other versions. This one I like!! :-D

7. Abayarde

Abayarde Capitán Del Estilo

i really really like Trio Matamoros... son on it's purest form

8. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

I think Machito did the original, back in the day (i.e. mambo era). There's some wonderful footage of Machito online btw, although I don't know if there's film of him doing that track. The Canario version is the one I like to drop, I just love the flute on it.

9. JimLad

JimLad Changui

<3 Conjunto Yumuri

and <<3 Trio Matamoros

Now that I am home and tidying my playlists up, Ignacio and Arsenio make up several albums of my favourite son playlists

Also Familia Valeria Miranda and Sones Des Oriente

An artist I saw a few years ago when he was in the UK playing in a duo with his daughter, Pedro Luis Ferrer , some lovely duets on his albums

Off to find my headphones now before I get told off by the neighbours for the music volume

10. Duo Los Compadres is a must have. Armando Garzon has a CD of what are probably technically boleros but it's sublime nonetheless. Cuarteto Patria is also great.

11. charafiend

charafiend Son Montuno

Trio Matamoros did not make Son music. While they weren't confined to a specific genre, most of their music were Guaracha fusions.

12. Abayarde

Sure?... have you listened their classics "Son De La Loma", "Hueso Na' Más", "El Que Siembra Su Maíz" and "Lagrimas Negras"?

BTW, all this songs were composed by Miguel Matamoros (Trio Matamoros was founded in 1925).

which then you consider a band with a stronger Son basement than Matamoros?

have in mind that most of these groups have sones, guarachas, comparsas, boleros and bolero-son in their repertoire.

more info: ecured.cu/index.php/Miguel_Matamoros

13. charafiend

charafiend Son Montuno

Their music didn't incorporate the clave nor a trumpet. I don't know what to call their music to be honest. Some of their earliest recordings sound like Trova.

14. charafiend

charafiend Son Montuno

I would characterize their music as Trova you could dance to. Basically, Trova-Guara or Trova-Son.Duo Los Compadres had a similar sound.

15. Abayarde

May I ask what's your meaning of clave? You can't find clave in "Son De La Loma"?

16. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

roberto roena - sabroso (cantando)

17. charafiend

charafiend Son Montuno

18. Abayarde

19. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo

Sep. Habanero and Sep. Nacional

20. salsim

salsim Nuevo Ritmo