Fania...

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by Salsabor!, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Salsabor!

Salsabor! Sonero

Now that EMusica owns the Fania, Vaya, Tico, Inca, Secco labels. Do you think they will re-release any of the Tommy Olivencia albums from his time with Inca?

I would love to hear the Plante Bandera album remastered as well as El Negro Chombo. I have these on CD now but would love to hear them remastered.

Any albums you hope the remastered and re-released from these labels?
  2. borikenSalsero

borikenSalsero Rhythm Deputy

I think it was Mambo Italian who said that he prefers the originals as opposed to the remastered albums.

Nostalgically, I absolutely share his views. I rather have the original than I would the remastered release.

I read somewhere that Emusic will release Fania's entire catalogue. The first lump sum batch is going to be some 300 albums, they must be around 60 now. I still buy the orignals though, the remastered I'll buy when the originals run out.
  3. HothouseSalsero

HothouseSalsero Descarga

I guess I should just give in and become a moderator. . . I did ask similar questions here. I'd prefer to see this topic kept in one place, if possible, just because I think that's more useful. (If someone wants to change the other thread title to make it more general, that would be okay.)

http://www.salsaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=1314
  4. HothouseSalsero

HothouseSalsero Descarga

(I am a back-seat moderator.)

I don't collect vinyl at this point, and I doubt that I will start unless I own my own house to keep it in. I move from apartment apartment way too often, and adding vinyl into that equation would be too much. As it is, I am ruthlessly cutting my personal library down to size. (Also I don't even have a turntable, and if I bought one, I'd want to invest in a halfway decent stereo, which I can't really afford at the moment.) But I can totally understand people wanting to collect the vinyl. Where do people find all these vinyl originals in playable condition though? I am surprised there's still so much of it out there.

I'm excited that the Tito Puente/Azuquita album Ce' Magnifique is being reissued. Has anyone heard it?
  5. peachexploration

peachexploration Maestro 'Timbalero' Puente

Hothouse, check your PMs when you get a moment. :)
  6. Claude

Claude Rhythm Deputy

Has Seeco (and its sister company WS Latino) been bought by Emusica?

Two weeks ago, in the record shops fo New York it seemed that negotiations were stopped due to small offering, smaller that the one presented to buy Kubaney (which was recently bought by Emusica).

Yes, it was me to criticize remastering, but just because I was shocked by the work that has been done on Willie's Colon "El Malo" (where trombons aren't aggressive anymore aand channels have been modified) and on La Lupe "Réina" where her voice has been put over the rest of the instruments.

Indeed, I heard also good comments about:

- Willie Colon's "El Juicio"
    - Louie Ramirez' "Ali Baba"

so I hope that some CD's will be good.

But the point is: why remastering??????????????

I take the opportunity to thank Borinken Salsero for his tip about visiting Cholo Record Store in the Bronx, the so called "Mambo Heaven Come TRue!", where, along with lot of 50's Mambo, I could find real rare Gems such as Tommy Olivencia's "La NUeva Sensacion Musical En Puerto Rico" and La Terrifica's "Sabor A Pueblo", where there was "Guaguanco no 3" which I knew just because of Borinken Salsero: THANKS A LOT!
  7. looyenyeo

looyenyeo Changui

Remastering Fania

Normally I lurk, but I just had to reply to this one.

Remastering is still working off the original mixdowns, so that would mean using the stereo 1/4" tapes that came out of the recording studios in the 60s and 70s.

Remember that technology has advanced significantly in the fourty years since. Previously it was difficult to overcome, for example, the tonal signature of the microphones that recorded the instrument. Nowadays we have very good parametric equalisers to do the job. But technology is only as good as the person who wields it, and in Bob Katz of Digital Domain you have among the best in the business.

Now I haven't had a chance to compare the eMusica releases yet, so I can only go by his reputation, his book "Mastering Audio" which I have read and applied several times, and the material on his website. His plaudits speak well of his abilities: numerous audiophile awards and three Grammys, one of which was for the excellent work he did on Olga Tañon's live album.

But more importantly, Bob has sympathy with the essence of Latin music, he speaks the language, and his partner Mary Kent is the author of the book "Salsa Talks" containing interviews of such luminaries as Oscar D'Leon and Celia Cruz.

If eMusica thought that they could offer an improved product by overcoming the inherent flaws of the recording/mixing process of the time through remastery, I can think of no-one better suited to the task than Mr.Katz.

I personally like the traditional sound, warts and all. But I do look forward to hearing what eMusica has to offer. What's different is not necessarily worse, and I'm keeping my ears and mind open.

If you want to find out more about Digital Domain and Mary Kent, all you have to do is to put those terms in your search engine.

And no, I'm not his publicist. Maybe I should be...

Loo Yeo
  8. borikenSalsero

borikenSalsero Rhythm Deputy

I'm glad to hear you went there, Mambo Italiano, and thought of it the same as I! More importantly that you found stuff you wanted! Now that's golden. It's truly my pleasure to help out!!!

I love that place! It gives me the chills each time I enter through that small door. Cholo screams "WEPA, mira quien esta aqui" (wepa, Look who's here) and I go through my usual routine and browse through the entire wall looking for anything that didn't catch me eye in the previous visit. I listen to his tunes, which are playing most of the time, then empty my pocket and walk out a happy camper. My average visit to the shop lasts about 2 hours (that is if my lady isn't pushing to grab and go) I've bought so much stuff from him that he keeps telling me that I should buy the shop. I'd close it down and selfishly keep all the goodies to myself, extra copies and all!
  9. Claude

Claude Rhythm Deputy

Re: Remastering Fania

Roberts Cats... I know his name.... he's grammy awarded...

But please, listen carefully to what he did in El Malo's tune "Jazzy" (rich of trombones) and then please give me your comment...

My comment is: why changing it?

Cheers
  10. HothouseSalsero

HothouseSalsero Descarga

I picked up some more remastered CDs (at Tower Records's going out of business sale):

Azuquita: Pura Salsa
    Willie Colon/Hector Lavoe: El Juicio
    Larry Harlow: Hommy
    Pete Rodriguez: I Like It Like That!

The Azuquita is a vast improvement over the CD reissue of the same album put out just a few years ago. So much clearer and cleaner.

The sound on El Juicio is also an improvement.

I hadn't really listened to the earlier reissue of Hommy enough to compare (and the Pete Rodriguez I had never heard before).
  11. Sweet D

Sweet D Changui

Classic Salsa CDs in SF Bay Area

Anybody out there know where there are good places in the SF Bay Area to get classic salsa cds oustide of Amoeba SF? How much different is the Amoeba Berkeley (someone save me a trip on BART this weekend and let me know)...