Exiting long songs

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by salsamarty, Nov 22, 2008.

1. salsamarty

salsamarty Rhythm Deputy

I was at the San Francisco Salsa Congress last night. The band was really good but they played very long songs . . . I mean VERY long songs. Antigone made the comment, something to the effect, "These people don't have enough sense to just stop when they are tired".

What is the graceful way to call it quits?

2. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

Lol expect it from bands and don't start at the beginning.

Or if you're feeling fit make sure you find your favourite partner so it doesn't seem long at all :D

3. Lola

Lola Sonero

I wait until they draw me in close during a move and then I wrap my arms around them and whisper into their ear, "God, that was awesome. But if I keep going I'm going to collapse. Save me a dance later?"

I'm not sure if it's the contact (because, yes...sometimes their eyes do glaze over) or that I ask for the dance later but they don't whine when I do it this way.

4. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

mmmm, sounds like a real nice payoff for the guy!

5. RugKutta

RugKutta Tumbao

Ha ha... I actually do the same thing in such a situation, only I'll wait for an excuse to throw in dip or a close move like you mentioned, then end w/ the usual hug+cheek kiss+thank you, as well as an explanation that I'm tired. It's all in the delivery as well; saying it the right way w/ the accompanying body language can mean the difference between the person feeling that you sincerely enjoyed the dance but really were just tired, vs. you just wanting to get away from a horrible lead/follow (yeah, on rare occasion I've had to end bad dances that way too... hopefully, the delivery kept them from knowing the difference ^_^).

6. chr

chr Shine Officer

It was very disappointing. While the live music went on I did not dare to ask anyone besides my wife and my sister-in-law just because of that. The last song I danced with my wife for about 10 minutes and was fun for awhile. Then we just stopped and I had enough time to have a drink I changed my shirt and the same music was still going on. :(

What we did for a song before was that with my brother we started to switch the partners occasionally to put a bit of variation into the dance, but simply listening to a music which does not really develop or go anywhere was already too boring.

OTOH, the band in Cocomo was really awsome. I think it was the same that played at the Toronto salsa congress.

7. salsamarty

salsamarty Rhythm Deputy

Chr - Johnny Polanco has a great album titled "L.A. Amistad" if you want to listen to more of him.

8. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

Were some of those songs 20 minutes? I stopped one dance early when it was obvious my partner was fading. My other partners (must have only been 4-5!) were okay to the end; so I'd break several times for shines or just freestyling. Great band, otherwise.

9. KP-salsa

KP-salsa Shine Officer

This betrays a huge lack of awareness of the audience from the band. If you're playing in a normal club, where you can be fairly sure the audience have specifically come to hear you play, then jam away to your heart's content and play your 20 minute descargas with confidence. If you're playing at a salsa congress, you can be fairly sure that almost everyone there has come to dance and your band is a nice add on, therefore play for the dancers, not just yourselves. Nobody could possibly think that dancers want to dance to a 20 minute long song.

Of course, like in the thread we had about DJs mixing one song imperceptably into another on so you're not certain that the song has changed for 20 minutes and don't know whether to stop or not for fear of looking impolite, we'll no doubt get people arguing that we should all just chop and change partners whenever we feel like, halfway through songs shouldn't present a problem, but of course that's not how the salsa etiquette works.

10. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

I find that salsa congress bands do tend to play very long songs, typically 15-20 min on average. If the band is good though, it makes perfect sense to stop or take a break when the band goes into an extended soneo improv. Typically, the rhythm section plays a very repetitive tumbao and the sonero and coro are doing a call & response. As a dancer and audience it is ok to participate which means the dance is more like a line dance facing the stage and responding to the sonero like the coristas do. Once the band picks up the montuno again, usually led by the piano and punctuated by the horns, thats the signal to go back to couple dancing.

OTOH, if the band is lousy, its going to be rough to find that natural break and to figure out when the band gets back to the theme of the song. Hopefully, lousy bands don't get booked at salsa congresses.

{Note: When Roberto Roena played at the 2008 Chicago Congress, there were many songs where there were these natural breaks. When I was lucky to have a dance partner who could get into the same groove, we would split up during the extended improv and then finish the rest of the song at the end}

11. salsamarty

salsamarty Rhythm Deputy

I've found that at the salsa congresses the bands are of sufficient renown that they draw their own concert audience which may encourage long songs. Simultaneously, there is this huge room of people dancing who are faced with the awkwardness of long songs.

Last night the band was Eddie Palmieri. They were great.

12. Lola

Lola Sonero

Lol, that's the point. Distraction = Freedom!

Shh. That's our little secret. Thus the distraction technique, by the time they think about that possible detail I'm across the floor slumped in my chair fanning myself.

13. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

LOL. I would take an evening of 10 second dances followed by excuses if they were all done like that :)

14. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

Both work. Several of us tried it. Here is what worked (from guys perspective):

1. Ask 10 minutes after the band started playing that piece.
    2. Ask someone familiar. It is easy to stop dancing midway when you know other person.
    3. With the strangers, before starting do a small talk/rant about the long songs the band has been playing. Agree before the dance, to cut it short if the band is stretching it.
    4. Dance the whole number (danced several 15-20 minute numbers).
    5. Sit it out and chat with out of town salseras (who are sitting out the band as well).
    6. Grab a favourite partner.

Haven't tried:

1. Grab your salsa crush and subject them to 25 minutes of dancing :) (don't have any crush).
    2. Grab an attractive/cute looking salsera and get 25 minutes to seduce them :p (some of the cute looking salseras are horrible dancers!)

P.S. - Bands and music (including DJs) was excellent on all three evenings. If there is a live music I did rather have a good band playing 20 minutes than a lousy band playing 5 minutes!

15. Lola

Lola Sonero

lol, smart man.

16. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

On Wednesday, I danced locally to DJ music for the first time since getting back from SF. And the songs seemed too short!

17. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

That's great musician's advice, bailar, but VERY few leaders will pick up on it. And as a follower, it's pretty bad etiquette to stop the guy in the middle of a dance and turn him around to face the satge :) So please, guys, keep spreading the word. I think it will take a slight change in the accepted etiquette for us all to stop when we're tired without offending our partners, and that's best done socially. As for the leaning in close and giving out compliments - I gladly do that when the guy deserves it and I feel comfortable enough with him, but it's far from a universal solution.

18. vata07

vata07 Descarga

not sure if you meant "are" horrible dancers but the fact is, most cute looking salseras usually aren't bad for long. they get so many dances they have no choice but to improve. i know a hot salsera now that started not too long ago and every time i dance with her she's a bit better. can't say the same thing about most other dancers.