Earplugs

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Al Israel, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

I am on a quest to find comfortable earplugs which are invisible while dancing. So far I have tried earpeace (too stiff), fender foam (pretty good but visible) and various non-musian ones which ruined the music. What do you use and are you happy with them?

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  2. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Best ones to me are from the original makers of in-ear headphones, Etymotic, I have been using these since I started salsa, no music distortion, they just tone down the volume: https://www.amazon.com/ETY-Plugs-Fidelity-Earplugs-Standard-Frost/dp/B0015WJQ7A

I am planning to upgrade to their "high fidelity" version which is even less visible: https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER20XS-SMF-P-High-Fidelity-Earplugs/dp/B00RM6Q9XW

If you don't mind paying a lot more you can get custom-molded ones that are essentially invisible: http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/custom-fit

3. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

Made me go through multiple ear plug-in reviews for the past hour. Without custom fitting the ETYs are pretty well rated. After all reading all the reviews of about half a dozen different ear plugs I am leaning towards the EARasers (most review seem to suggest they eliminate need for custom fit and are as good). They are available on Amazon for $37.

4. Aurel

Aurel Son Montuno

I use Alpine PartyPlug earplus - https://www.alpinehearingprotection.com/earplugs/partyplug/ They are invisible to the point, that even people with whom I dance and talk regularly don't know I wear them and when I tell them, they are surprised and want to check.

I like the sound of music in these earplugs. I find them to filter out the annoying high notes a bit more then the lower notes, so I don't get scared when the trumpets kick in.

As with all but the custom-moldel ones, you need to find the right shape and brand for you, because even though they all say that they have anatomical shape, are soft, etc. they will hurt if they are too big or not seal the ear canal correctly (worse sound dampening).

5. Offbeat

After reading various different reviews on number of discussion boards, it seems that you have to try several before you can decide what fits your personal taste. The Alpine are good in that they come with changeable filters. Ety seems to the most popular and known. From people who have tried multiple products the EARasers seem to be the most comfortable and most used. Dubs, Eargasms, V-Moda, Macks, Hearos etc are other ear plugs and they all are in same $20 to $40 bracket. It all depends on how it fits your ear, how discreet you want the plugs to be and how it makes the music sound. Too many variables to find a right one for a personal taste without trial and error!

6. Sabrosura

Agreed. I have not tried the EARasers or the Alpine PartyPlug ones but I have experimented with several other brands over the years and always come back to Etymotic as the best volume reduction/comfort combination.

I'll try the EARasers and Alpine ones as I'm curious how they compare.

7. Chris F

Chris F Tumbao

Go get yourself some musicians earplugs custom made. I do not go to ANY event or club or venue with loud music without them. They are totally worth the $100-150 in comfort and quality. I have the ER15 and there is a small additional treble reduction (not completely flat frequency response) but it's not a big deal as I have to put up with a lot of PA systems that sound somewhere between mediocre to awful so the slight bass tilt usually actually improves the sound.

[​IMG]

on17 and salsamarty like this.
  8. Offbeat

The custom made only is useful for proper fit to one's ear canal shape. Custom made doesn't dictate the attenuation characteristic of the ear plugs. That is dictated by the filters being used. And the filters are same whether you put them on custom made plugs or standard off the shelf. A proper fit helps to make sure plugs are snugged properly and not letting any sound leak in. which may cause distortion.

9. Sabrosura

So the ER15 only attenuate by 15dB according to this chart, do you ever feel like this is not enough? The Etymotic ones I use attenuate by 20dB and less than that for me would not be enough. The nice thing is that I can adjust them so that if in one place the music is really loud I insert them deeper and they create a tighter seal so they attenuate more (@Offbeat for the Etymotic ones the seal pays a big role in the attenuation, not just the filter, and that is one reason why I prefer them, they create a better seal than any of the others I have tried--other earplugs that are softer and squishier may be a bit more comfortable but because the seal they create is not as tight as the Etymotic, I found them to not attenuate the sound nearly as well), whereas if the music is not that loud I can insert them more loosely so that they don't attenuate by as much. I really like that I can customize them that way. This is especially useful when dancing in a room with an uneven sound system, where I may find myself in a very loud spot at one point and then in a spot where I can't hear the music after that. I've gotten sp used to this that I adjust them almost automatically depending on the loudness of the music.

Can the ER15 ones you have be adjusted for louder music? Or do you have to get the ER25 for that, which attenuates by 20-25?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  10. Offbeat

I think I alluded it to some where. It is important how the plug should seal properly, otherwise unproper sealing causes leakage of the sound. Based on review, I think EARasers may have better seal and comfort (they are also discreet), hence my first try out with them. I will also try Ety and Alpine. Rather than order through Amazon, I am planning to go down to Guitar Center and see it myself before deciding which size to buy. For health/hygienic reasons guitar center won't allow try outs or returns. So only option is to buy the closest fit by inspection :) EARaser the manufacturer does allow return/exchange for different size if you pay for shipment.

Without custom molding, which brand will create a better seal for one's ears is hard to tell. Every ear has a different shape while the plugs have a single shape. So it may be brand x creates better seal for A and brand y for another person B. That means even B likes x, the y will work better.

11. Sabrosura

Yeah and there are many factors that affect the seal, the type of material, the "hard support"/"backbone", etc. I use Etymotic earphones as well as I have found their 3-flange design to be the best sound isolators (even better than active noise cancellation earphones/headphones), and I noticed that even though the 3-flange is similar to the earplugs, the way the headphones seal is different than the earplugs simply because the "backbone" is different.

12. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

I read a review saying these gave a pointy end ehich can be uncomfortable, if earplugs go in too deep they can damage your eardrums.

I have alsi seen multiple reviews, including of earasers, where they got stuck inside and tge person had to use tweezers ir even go to the doctor to get them out.

13. Offbeat

None of these earplugs are designed to go that deep as to hurt eardrums. They sit at the mouth of ear canal. There is no way you can push then deep enough unless you are using a size that is way too small for your ears. But that you should know immediately.

That can happen if the stem breaks. Won't happen with custom molded ones.

14. salsamaniac4ever

salsamaniac4ever Son Montuno

I'm using earplugs for years now and at the beginning I used the cheap one from alpine. They do the trick but the noise reduction is not linear and they don't fit perfectly. So I decided to invest some money and spent 140 € for custom made earplugs what Chris F is recommending. I also have the ER15 filter. They are still visible. But so what? It's not like they pop out of the ear or look weird. It's your body and your health. Once your ears are damaged there is not much you can do.

The first time I used the custom mades I was blown away from the sound quality. No comparison to the cheap one. And they fit super nicely. Unfortunately you can't test them before you buy them because they are custom made. So you kinda have to trust us and just get them ;). I can even DJ with the earplugs. FYI I already have a Tinnitus. Luckily its a really light one and it doesn't bother me. Started after a Salsa party where I forgot my earplugs.

@Sabrosura I have the ER15 and I never had the feeling that it was too loud. I think the ER25 are for extremely loud house and/or RnB parties. Maybe they isolate better because of the custom fit and therefore ER15 is enough. But you can get both filters and change them if necessary. Although the filter are the most expensive part ;).

15. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

So where are these mythical ER15 earplugs purchased?

16. salsamaniac4ever

If you live in Germany I can help you ;)

17. Al Israel

Al Israel Tumbao

What brand are they, Etymotic Research?

18. salsamaniac4ever

19. Sabrosura

I found this interesting comparison chart between ER15-25 (from Etymotic):

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/erme.html

I'd love to try the custom fit ones but I am so used to being able to adjust the attenuation (through manual adjustment), which I would not be able to do with the custom ones, that I almost think I prefer the cheaper ones even if they do not fit as perfectly as the custom ones just because I can adjust them to account for volume differences (whether at the same event or between different events). The need to adjust them occurs so often in my case--because I love to have the music sounds "just right"--that I can't imagine not having that ability.

I suppose I could carry two pairs with me, the custom ones and the regular cheap ones, and if the custom ones are attenuating too much/too little or there are volume discrepancies in the same room I can just switch them with the regular ones.

20. Sabrosura

G809 likes this.