Dominican Republic Salsa Congress!

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by irishgirl, Oct 1, 2008.

1. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

Hey

Just wondering if anyone from here is going?

I'm sooooooooo excited, my lonely planet just arrived :)
  2. granrey

granrey Changui

Just check how my country mates use the left foot foward "on 1"

I wish I could go.

Enjoy
  3. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

oh my goodness!!!

The lineup is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At $6000 to get a flight though plus work commitments, lets just say I hope you have a great trip ;) ;) ;)
  4. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

Can't make this one, but might try the Canada Salsa Congress that weekend in Toronto. I hope the weather is good to you.
  5. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

i hope there are no hurricanes !
  6. babybarbarella

babybarbarella Son Montuno

How was the Congress? We chose Canada, as it was cheaper.
  7. irishgirl

irishgirl Rhythm Deputy

ok congress review as promised.........

The congress was held in one of those all inclusive resorts
    Pros - the resort was stunning, there was stuff to do if you didn't want to sit on the beach (scuba etc and much of it free) there were barely any workshops, also good re sun bathing etc
    - the staff were really helpful etc...
    - the food was good but it was buffet in the main restaurant which you did feel might be recycled a little (anyone else read Anthony Bourdains book?)
    - alcohol was plentiful

Con- alcohol was BOTTOM SHELF - when gin and vodka taste almost the same its' not a good thing....but the beer was good (i still can't drink their local rum since but it's not a bad thing probably)

Half pro/con - the nightly social dancing was in the hotel bar which had a concrete/tiled floor which was ok for dancing but not perfect.
    con - the layout of the bar seemed somehow to hinder people dancing/ people danced where they were sitting so grabbing those people to dance was tough sometimes

BIG Con - sat night shows....
    The night started off in same hotel bar , at around 10.30pm (Late) - i should add the shows started at almost 11 if not later on fri night....- we moved into the main ballroom for the shows.
    As I mentioned - the promoters talked for over an hour which meant the shows ran for 2 hours...it was ridiculous..........how many times do you need to mention the sponsors.....

So then we were shipped back into the bar and then back in to the main hall for the live band...expecting a floor...nope, carpet only........and the hall was HUGE...like the size of NY congress but with no designated floor space people seemed to result in people looking lost in this huge space. And half seemed to stay in the bar......plus it didn't start till 12.30....

So I was none too happy with Sat night.
    Sun night we were back in the bar, but for some incredibly strange reason, people seemed "done" dancing...........so strange.........

3 of us also had an issue on the last day which we are still waiting for the hotel/promoters to get back to us on (bags not being put on the bus by the bellboys, we missed our flight etc)

I would go back but maybe not next year.....we'll see........

It was nice that it was small and you could dance with everyone, just needed a bit more organization.
  8. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

Thanks for such an honest review. I was looking forward to reading, thinking nice destination might look at in the future...
  9. himji

himji Sonero

the food and drink thing sounds like standard All inclusive fare. I usually shy away from A/I for that very reason, much better food to be bought in town and I'm not a heavy drinker anymore.

CrazyG, Mambo city do a few overseas congress' might be worth checking some of thiers out
  10. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

This is a major issue I have with these breaks in the dancing. I spoke to someone that went to the DR Congress and also the Allstar weekend in Mexico and he said the DR Congress was much better.
  11. GRx

GRx Sonero

Hope no one ran into any Sankies :)