dominican is the coolest!

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by brianjd, Jan 23, 2010.

1. brianjd

brianjd Changui

Up until a couple months ago I didn't distinguish between romantic bachata and domincan-style bachata. I knew there was something going on but didn't really get it. Now I understand the difference and have started learning dominican-style...isn't it the coolest!? All the subtle little body movements and syncopated steps. Tricky as hell though!

2. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

Are you in the DR or you learning from people here in the states? People in the DR dance bachata differently depending on the part of the island. What do you mean by "dominican-style" or is that just a marketing term?

3. Salsa Bear

Salsa Bear Sabor Ambassador

I'm taking a Bachata class from a Seattle instructor who said he's going to teach us three styles. I think he called them Classic, Tango and Dominican.

I haven't typed up my notes yet, but he said Dominican style is more flat-footed, with relatively little hip motion. As I understand it, Dominican style is more of a social dance - something you might dance with relatives, so you don't want to get too wild with the hips. :)

4. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

Bachata is a dance that comes out of the brothels. I've been to clubs in the DR where they don't even play it. I've never seen Dominicans in the DR dance like Gringos. It's an intimate dance in the DR. People there don't learn dances by going to a ballroom or a bachata congress. There is a merengue festival in the DR for the natives.

5. brianjd

brianjd Changui

I understand dominican-style as being more flat-footed, emphasizing syncopated footwork, and danced in an open position more frequently than romantic-style. You'll usually find a small syncopated back-break on 4 and 8 as opposed to the hip-bump in romantic-style.

I think what Troy and Jorjet are doing here is a good example <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNn_XZPIXY4>

I'm learning in the U.S. but the guy I'm learning from studied in the DR.

6. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

I think there is even a guy that teaches Bachata in a rueda format.

youtube.com/watch?v=7AkqCX3UfTQ

7. brianjd

brianjd Changui

Well, regardless of what it's called, I enjoy it. Here's another good link:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdSeG_ZrwDo&feature=related>

8. sarita1011

sarita1011 Son Montuno

AguaDulce, is there a clip that you could provide that would show "typical" Dominican bachata? From Troy's (and Jorjet's) arsenal on YouTube, I remember seeing this clip last year. I would hazard a guess that what Lisa and Yermin are doing is more "traditional" (for lack of a better term). It's only a few seconds, but there's not a lot of what I tend to see out here, what with the hip hitch and all that. After seeing what a Dominican friend did with her feet last year (essentially the syncopated step that Lisa does), I first asked my friend to show me how to do that then worked to incorporate it into my dance. Now that's pretty much how I do bachata.

9. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

Unfortunately, when I'm in the DR - taking videos of people dancing bachata is the last thing on my mind. I never even thought of bachata as anything that would require videos or instructional CDs, but I see the direction that people here are taking the dance. All the links you folks listed look good.

10. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

I think Troy and Jorjet are teaching one aspect of dancing bachata that is not usually taught (in usa). I haven't seen the clips posted in this thread but I have seen enough of Troy and Jorjet's clips to know about syncopated stepping. I love it. Leslie and I forgot her partner's name from LA is another couple that frequently throws in syncopated stepping when dancing bachata. They all make it look very good especially when it closely reflects the music they are dancing to.

I think I remember from somewhere either them or someone else saying that it all depends on the music. If music is faster tempo with more nuanced instruments, the syncopated steps will look better than romantic close hold dancing. And I agree. There is plenty of fast temp bachata music where dancing in romantic close hold feels out of place. On the other hand if the music is slower (and usually with simple bachata rhythm) it feels totally like music is asking to be danced romantically in close hold. Dancing with syncopated steps to a slow bachata number just doesn't feel right.

11. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

I think it looks cool. A few of the instructors in Reno suggested that the direction of bachata was to mix in different styles in a single song to keep it interesting.

12. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

I LOVE bachata. How I dance depends on the music and partner. I feel the beauty of loving and pursuing dancing is to always add options and even have gears within those options. I.e romantic song and close partner, you can dance a certain style and cycle through 1st gear to 5th (oh yeah, one day :) ).

And so too with songs that emphasise hip hop/shines whatever :)

13. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

ps - something amazing that I love about most bachata is a certain cheekiness in the music. A playfulness inviting you to explore :)

14. babybarbarella

babybarbarella Son Montuno

I LOVE Troy and Jorjet's bachata. It renewed my love for the dance. Almost no one dances like that in my city, but it is sooooo fun.

15. Joy in Motion

Joy in Motion Sonero

Anyone catch the west coast swing they put in there?

16. redsalsero

redsalsero Sonero

you know whats funny. ive been dancng like troy & jorjet since the beginning. when i started to learn bachata.:D first i watched some youtube vids so i could learn a coupld of moves.
    and i was always like uh thats really not my style. untill a year ago i saw troy & jorjet dancing:).

i feel thats how bachata should be dance and also works when in hugging possition when you dont have alot of room to move but you can still do some footwork.

also really like it when people assuming your dominican just because you dance the dominican style:p

17. Joy in Motion

Joy in Motion Sonero

I also have been dancing a style of bachata similar to Troy and Jorjet. I didn't learn it anywhere, but that's the kind of bachata some of the Dominicans at our local salsa club danced, and they were the most musical and enjoyable to watch so that's what I emulated. No real instruction; I just found inspiration from the music and various partners. So of course that's my soft spot when it comes to bachata. I have to force myself to have an open mind to appreciate close embrace dancing with bachata because in my community the only people who dance that way basically grind and not in a particularly skilled or musical way.

18. WessexSalsero

WessexSalsero Rhythm Deputy

Yeah, I've enjoyed watching this 'Troy & Jorjet' style Bachata but it's actually not that much fun to dance to slow, romantic/sad music.

Say, this couple dance T&J style to Aventura's El Perdedor but the romantic style would have worked better:
    youtube.com / watch?v=D8GzLiv-YDM&feature=related

In fact, it works better: I danced to this song twice last week (is popular with particularly one DJ) and slow/sensual was definitely the way forward.

19. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

I guess it's a matter of taste. One woman told me that she doesn't like doing a whole song Dominican style because it gets boring. At least a couple instructors at the last Reno festival suggested mixing different styles in each song to match the music and keep things interesting.

20. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

I say the style depends more on who I am dancing with :)

With slower Bachata songs, the T&J like Dominican style definitely doesn't appeal to me much. I like that style when the song is in fast tempo. In fast tempo close hold romantic style seems a little bit off.

Good thing about Bachata is it gives you freedom to improvise your style as you feel. You don't always need to learn a particular style. Just borrow or create your own!