Does your family know about you and salsa?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Brownskin818, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Brownskin818

Brownskin818 Shine Officer

If so, what do they think? If not, why don't they know? :)

I've tried to share with my dad. He kinda got it when I started singing with a salsa band for a little bit, but the dancing by itself didn't really make sense to him. When I would travel to congresses he thought I was traveling on a gig with the band. I tried to clarify that I was just traveling to dance and of course that was totally incomprehensible. I also tried to show him a video of me dancing but he zoned out after like 20 seconds. :lol: So yea, he knows about it but doesn't get it.
  2. Beto

Beto Tumbao

My mother knows about it and did from the start. However she didn't see me dancing till I hit the 2 year mark. She "gets it" and likes that I'm doing this.
  3. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

Most friends and family have always known that I dance. My mother tries to tolerate it. My father is blatantly disapproving of the whole thing :)
  4. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

My mother did know that salsa dancing was a big thing in my life (she passed away a few years ago). She observed me dancing once and criticized that I didn't make eye contact with my dance partner, which was/is true because mothers are always right.

My dad probably couldn't tolerate a place with more than two people socializing in RL but if I told him that people on sf spend more time on the net than actually dancing on the floor, he would totally get that.
  5. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

Parents highly approve in a "I wish I was that smart when I was your age" way but I didn't tell them until I really dedicated myself. Salsa music has been played at my house for years, so that's not a surprise, but mom wants lessons, so I have to oblige once in a while when I'm home.

None of my coworkers know, although they know I'm obsessed with the music. Few of my friends know, that I can dance, none know to the extent, but they weren't told until months later. Usually their reactions are also very positive, but it's still my little secret and I like to keep it that way. The salsa congress actually ruined it for me a bit because I had to explain the bracelet.

I like running off from my friends on a given night, going to dance with complete strangers in New York City's clubs and coming home with a smile on my face. Their something personal about the entire thing that is so internal that I think I'll ruin it if I share.
  6. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

I get you cos some friends who know I dance recently expressed an interest in joining one of my evenings (entirely my fault for keep trying to share the passion) and part of me suddenly felt that I didn't want them there cos it's mine and a different part of my life!
  7. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

my family saw a video of a show i did for a competition and were blown away...i've always been "the quiet one", and spent most of my childhood up in my room reading, so it was a bit of an attitude adjustment.

one christmas day, got the whole family (including grandma) up for an impromptu salsa lesson, that was fun.

my dad's egyptian, and dancing professionally is seen as akin to prostitution and a bit low-class here, though that's changing now. the egyptians on the salsa scene here are all upper class (it's a very pre-revolutionary-france social structure here). my egyptian aunt met my friend (belly)lorna, a scottish professional belly dancer here in cairo, and she's so obviously respectable that it smoothed the way for me a lot. :cool:

for reasons of respectability, i dont want my doormen/neighbours to know i teach dance, but i think i may have shot myself in the foot.... they might be wondering why 3 guys came up to my flat (i have a studio inside it) the other night, one-by-one, then left an hour later, sweaty and saying "thank you". :eek::eek:;) i thought of saying i was teaching english/learning arabic, but it's the sweatiness that's the problem...
    Sabrosura likes this.
  8. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

My parents know, and appear to think it's great, even though they've never seen actual social dancing. What they don't understand is my addiction, like the fact that I simply have no interest or time for movies or television.

The few coworkers I've told tend to look at me funny (I'm a nerd among nerds in a software company); or they ask about how I'm able to dance all the time without my wife, and can't imagine going out and dancing with strangers.
  9. noobster

noobster Shine Officer

Both my sisters have seen me social dance. They are both very casual once-in-a-while salseras who have taken a few group classes and go out to a club with their friends a few times a year. Neither of them can follow worth beans but my littlest sister is an absolutely fabulous freestyle club dancer. She doesn't seem to be made of the same joints that other people have, and she's got a funky unstoppable joie de vivre on the floor.

My parents know about the salsa but I don't think they know what it looks like. They have asked about whom I'm going out and dancing with, but seemed satisfied with the answer that I had a group of salsa buddies, which was true. (I was vague about the fact that they were all originally strangers who became my buddies after we'd danced a bunch.)
  10. Salsamakossa

Salsamakossa Shine Officer

Amanda,

This is way too funny. 3 sweaty men in 3 hours? You better slow down.. lol. Still, Egypt has to be more open than Algeria.. lol.

11. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

Brother & Sister stories:
    My sister does dance, but not salsa. She and her (now ex-) husband did tango for their wedding dance...hmmm...now if it had been salsa ???

My brother replied to an ad where a woman wanted a dance partner for private dance lessons because her husband refused to go. He passed the interview with her and her husband (I am not making this up !). I haven't asked if they are still going to the lessons. I also tried to get my brother to go to a Los Van Van concert in Zürich because he had bought a compilation CD and liked the LVV song on it. Unfortunately, the concert was sold out.
  12. la_gringa

la_gringa Tumbao

everybody in my life knows. i'm not that close with my family, but they know i dance. my friends and colleagues all know. all my non-dancing friends have passed into casual acquaintances at this point so they are sort of a non-issue... i'm sure i'll regret this eventually, but that's how it is for right now.

my work friends, once they find out i'm a dancer, often look at me wistfully at the end of the workday as i gather up my dancing stuff for yet another night on the town. "i wish i could do that, i always wanted to," they say.

but you can, don't you see?
  13. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Same here.

My parents came to my wedding last year, which was followed by a salsa party instead of a traditional reception. They just watched, apart from one bachata for which I got my dad up and dance with me 8)

My mum thinks I'm mad, with all those late nights spent in Roppongi (area full of seedy clubs and bars) and weekend salsa trips. I suppose I'd have felt the same in my pre-salsa life, when my main hobbies were reading and gardening.
  14. vata07

vata07 Descarga

the only one that knows is my sister who incidentally started learning on2 without me even saying that i also dance. i always choose my moments when i tell everyone certain things. the time is not yet right for me to reveal my newest addiction,:cool:.
  15. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

My parents know nothing about dancing of any kind. They know I dance salsa, am out till 2am dancing on the weekdays or attending out-of-town congresses. They consider it as just another hobby of mine. But then I can't remember they ever disapproved of any of my activities. On the other hand they have always been encouraging.

Many of my friends, acquaintances and colleagues also know and I never seen any express any kind of disapproval. None of them are into dancing and usually the way they come to know is when I can't make it to someplace because I am out dancing.
  16. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

lol - what an incredible great thread. Thanks so much for sharing everyone. I LOVED reading it.

As for me:

Everyone knows I dance. They think it is too much, for no purpose (unless I turn professional which is not even a consideration at this point. I just love it) and I need to do other things lol. They also accept me for being me though a lot more now.

I took my brother and parents to salsa lessons (I live away so when they visited). They did great and loved it:
    1) Brother - had a great time but felt so guilty dancing with other girls when his wife was not there. (super cute) (he was here for work solo but I took him out for the night)
    2) Mum and step dad: My mum was ALL smiles but took it seriously lol trying to get it perfect first time....(maybe runs in the family, whistles innocently). My step dad was the PERFECT gentleman with the ladies.

Originally sent my first ever salsa vid (a terrible small clip after my first salsa lesson) to my mum via youtube. (originally just to share my new passion). My mum lives on a farm and had seen a current affair tv show say youtube was BAD. So she got angry for me for being on 'the youtube'.

LOL
  17. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

LOL, great story! 'theyoutube' is the devil - and did you know, you can catch 'the aid' from holding hands with people when you're dancing? it's true, my austrian grandma told me so. ;)

i have a nigerian friend who was accused of performing satanic rites back at home...

...he was doing yoga! :eek:
  18. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

Well, duh, we all know normal people can't swing their legs over their shoulders so their toes touch the spine! I bet he is an alien too!
  19. Jolinia

Jolinia Descarga

All my family and friends know.

My parents have never seen me dance, but I showed them a few photos that a friend took when we were dancing.

I showed them some youtube videos of congresses I had attended. My mom loved the social dancing videos, but didn't like the shows so much. She said, they all looke alike. Now every time I go visit them I have to show her social dancing videos :)

My dad thinks any kind of dance is torture but he surprised me the other day that he really got into the music lately. When I visited a few weeks ago he played a DVD with about 300 latin songs that he had recorded from an online salsa radio station he found. For each song he asked me "Is this salsa?" - although there were a few cha chas and bachatas, most of it was salsa - and good salsa too. He had recorded some Hector Lavoe and Eddie Palmieri songs that I always wanted to have without even knowing what he was recording :D
  20. redsalsero

redsalsero Sonero

everyone knows or ill let them know cos i like to talk about it.
    as for strangers if they ask what do you do i say salsa & school:D

friends however could not care less that im salsaing. for some reason they always know that i make excuses not to come to their place because i want to go out salsadancing.
    so its like "hey you coming to my party dis weekend. im like uhm yeah about that i can come but i have to leave in the night..... oooh right your going dancing again sheesh :D"

I do practice in my family environment. so some occasionally see me dancing and wonder what the hell am i doing. untill they hear the music.. oh right salsa lol:p

my mom tried it too mayby to bond with me or something didnt quite workout cos i would not dance with her.only on some occassions. now she has it to busy to even care about it anymore.

it would be great though if you can have the entire family get to salsadancing.
    i know some family's where everyone dances brother sister mom dad. and other relatives
    nice goal for a future family to get everyone dancing.