Do You Have Salsa Plans To Celebrate New Years Eve?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by AguaDulce, Dec 5, 2008.

1. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

I know some people will be going to Salsaglam in Montreal, Canada whilst some others to the SalsaMambo festival in Palm Springs, California. Are you attending one of these events or is there another salsa (or even non-salsa) event that will help you ursher in 2009?

2. andrep1

andrep1 Changui

Will be at Salsaglam as well as the pre-event the night before. Wouldn't miss it! There's a few of us driving down from Ottawa

Can't wait!

3. cutesalsadoll

cutesalsadoll Son Montuno

I am going to the Salsa Mambo Festival. I'm very loyal to that event. I love the people who put it on, it is always a blast and it just keeps getting better. This year there are dancers coming from Holland and NYC to mention a few. Angel Lebron is going to play. It will be AWESOME - last year we had over 2000 people on New Year's Eve. It was so much fun.

4. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

No... :(
    It's gonna be a traditional Japanese non-salsa NYE with my family for me.

5. vata07

vata07 Descarga

hey wait a minute!! salsa glam?? never heard of it.. i might just do that then!!

6. Roo

Roo Son Montuno

Ringing it in in Colombia, city to be determined, but definitely have salsa in the plans!

7. cutesalsadoll

Who else is going to the Salsa Mambo Festival? I usually help out as staff... but even though I have to work part of the event it is my all time favorite event of the year. Last New Years I had so much fun, I didn't remember having that much fun at a salsa event in years, maybe ever! I remember last year a couple people from this forum went... I think met Snow Dancer! I hope you guys come out, it really is a blast. NYC dancers are coming and even dancers from Holland. It should be awesome. Angel Lebron y Su Sabor Latino are going to be playing live there to. I love their sound. As you can see I can't wait. :)

I put information on the sub-forum: Event Announcements and Ads and you can also check out salsamambofestival.com for information on it too.

8. Offbeat

Offbeat Clave Commander

Today I had to cancel my plans for Europe trip. With too short time to plan anything for the last minute, this might be it. Will think about it and if I can find someone to carpool from norcal or cheap airfare.

9. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

I went to the local popular salsa club (Cocomo) last year. There was, surprisingly, a lot of good dancing, and few drunk people (though people were definitely drinking), and generally a lot of fun. I might be skipping new years this year, though, it's just too much trouble trying to find a babysitter. Any way, I've done Times Square, Rome, and Moscow in the past, so one new years eve without staying up till 4am won't be a big deal :)

10. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

I'll go to Mambo Lounge again this year. It was fun last year, the only downside being that a lot more people show up as couples than on a normal salsa night.

I haven't been to Palm Springs for New Year's, but I was there for the July festival, and it was a lot of fun (and a really, really NICE hotel).

11. cutesalsadoll

Oh, that sounds right, I just got mixed up which Salsa Mambo Festival you went to, it is twice a year. I remembered meeting you though. I hope you have fun with this your new years plans. I'm excited for mine. :)

12. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

I'm thinking about doing Monteal, but only thing is - I've heard it's ridiculously cold. I've done Palm Springs b4 and had a good time, but there wasn't enough On2 for me ... otherwise it is a nice event.

13. cutesalsadoll

When did you go? And did you go to the Salsa Mambo Festival? There have been other salsa events in Palm Springs and every year is a little bit different. I thought there were a lot of On2 dancers this summer with Nelson Flores and Ismael Otero & Shani Talmor - all from NY and last year for New Years we had Santo Rico drawing in On2 people everywhere. For New Years this year we have Ismael & Shani again. And Sonyo & Bernard who put it on are big time On2 and and have been bringing it back to their students more lately. This event gets bigger every year so every year there are more and more of every type of salsa dancer.

I'm learning On2, I hope that I still get better!!! I'm starting to enjoy it.

14. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

I went to Edie and Bernard's event. It was a lot of fun. I'd be more interested in seeing the On2 instructors from the West Coast cause I see the people you mentioned all the time. Since this is a West Coast event, however, I can see how the draw of the East Coast instructors might be bigger.

15. JonesNikka

JonesNikka Rhythm Deputy

I was at SalsaGlam in Montreal last year and it was not worth it. The air conditioning was not up to par. The shows were all repeats from the Montreal Salsa Convention, The MC and the DJ were clearly amateurs. (One of the troupes from Toronto had to repeat their number as there was a big snafu with their music.) It was hyped as a New Year's party but there was no countdown until a minute or two after midnight. The admission price was quite stiff and it only included a glass of sparkling wine.

The day after, I found out that around 1 am, when people started to leave to go get something to eat the organizers did bring out a fruit buffet(!), so this year I will host a salsa house party with a few friends

16. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

With the stranglehold monopoly of NWA-Delta out of MSP travel is out of the question.

For NYE there is an awesome local party at the 35th floor party room of an apartment building in downtown MPLS. The view is phenomenal. Cuban musicians Viviana Pintado and Gloria Rivera are performing with a few others. $25 entry includes Cuban buffet, drinks are extra but BYOB is allowed. This is the best deal in town.

17. GRx

GRx Sonero

I agree.

18. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

Sounds like last year wasn't so great. I think it was the first one so perhaps they needed to work out some kinks? As with technology, sometimes its not best to do the initial product until you've given the makers a chance to debug all the problems.

It looks like this year's event is slated to have more visitors from out of the country, including Santo Rico, Anna and Joel, Leah Patterson, Cristina (from Chicago) and Darlin Garcia.

19. GRx

GRx Sonero

The pre party was better than the actual New Years party.

As for the weather, it wasnt cold last year so that was good, but there was a nice snowstorm on New Years day.

It's not a bad event, but nothing amazing. Just a big social with people wearing nice clothes. And yeah there was no real countdown.

20. emarrific

emarrific Sonero

in San Fran: Thinking of heading to GlasKat for a pre-new year's party on 12/30 and maybe Cocomo's for new year's eve- though it's steep ($40) and there will be lots of drunkies on the road... Also should probably do a relationship check and see if the BF unit is down for that too. I'm attempting to make sure my relationship doesn't become another one of those "casualties of salsa".