DJ equip.

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by terence, Sep 11, 2017.

1. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

I just purchased 2 mixer leads from Gear4Music in York. They were the wrong fit so I called and offered to return same. They offered to send me 2 replacements FREE and keep the ones they sent.
    Just thought they needed some props. Great selection of stuff and prompt service .
    I was a new customer .

Dissonant Harmony likes this.
  2. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

Glad it worked for you.

I just bought an Allen & Heath ZED 14 Mixer and some great speakers but I need a new controller. Any controller's you recommend?

3. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

My suppliers are you UK based .
    By the way, after all of that, it was another problem ( I have 2 backup systems so , not concerned )

4. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

I got a Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 recently. So far I'm very pleased with it, and I've used it for quite a lot of gigs. Mostly salsa (so no mixing) however I have done one Latin party with lots of mixing, plus lots of mixing at home in preparation, and it works pretty well for those purposes imo (I don't know if that's a consideration for you). It comes with Serato DJ Intro and despite doing a lot with it, I haven't felt any need to upgrade to full Serato.

5. DJ Yuca

I have an Allen and Heath mixer too btw - they are superb. But now I have the controller I don't actually need it for DJing (except for a salsa gig I do in which an instructor gives me CDs to play in the lessons. And I use it at home for listening to vinyls.)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  6. DJ Yuca

7. Hanginon

Hanginon Changui

You really should first decide what software you would like to use before investing in a controller, because not everything works with each other. There are free versions of most that will work at home with a mouse - Virtual DJ Home, Mixvibes Cross Free, MIXXX (which is actually open source), and Traktor (which will run in demo mode for 30 minutes). Serato DJ Intro will work in "analysis" mode without a controller, and the full Serato DJ (which I think runs in demo mode for 14 days) - but these two are hardest to do with just a mouse.

They all have their own idiosyncrasies. For example, IMHO Serato has excellent library management, but suffers from not having a dedicated song preview, and so on.
    Once you decide which software you like, then get a compatible controller.