Detailed dance instructions?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by anter, Oct 7, 2008.

1. anter

anter Changui

I'm a beginner at Cuban style Salsa. Sometimes I miss don't properly learn some things in class, or I forget something when I get home. Then it can take a pretty long while until my wrong way of doing things gets corrected.

So I'm thinking I could really benefit from detailed instructions on how to perform figures. Like a detailed book or very explaining videos. Then I could catch myself quicker when I do something unproperly.

Are there any resources like that? If there are free resources that would be swell. But I wouldn't mind paying either. As long as there are any good resources I'll be really happy about that.

Thanks!

2. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Hi Anter and welcome :)

In my limited experience, the best tools are:

1) private lessons
    2) group lessons (repeat as necessary, some of the best dancers I know repeated lessons ESPECIALLY the leaders)
    3) social dancing
    4) practice with partners outside class

Complimented (not replaced by)

5) Workshops/congresses
    6) instructional dvds
    7) books/websites (especially salsa forums he he)
    8) watching clips (dvd/youtube etc)

For your cuban salsa, there are several instructional DVDS that you can purchase which may help. (search the net and salsa review section of this board for more)

Plus follow the above (maybe have private or group lesson with instructor and ask to video the move and hints on how to do it and then get together with a friend outside of class to practice.

Good luck and have fun.

3. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

- Grab your teacher after the class and ask them to check if you are doing the new move correctly.

- After each class, practise the moves you've learned - with your classmates, your teacher, and other dancers of all levels. Seek their feedback.

- Go social dancing and dance with lots of different people. If your moves only work with your classmates and not others (including more experienced dancers), then it probably means your lead (or follow if you are a woman) is not quite right.

- Take some private lessons - by far the best way to work on the correct lead-follow technique.

- There are videos of Cuban style moves on YouTube although I'm not sure about the level of detail you get from them (most are just demonstrations). There are also Cuban style instruction DVDs available (e.g., Bugaloo Productions - bugaloo.com). But videos and DVDs only help if you combine them with practising with real people and getting their feedback.

Welcome to Salsa Forums, anter :)

4. SmartAlx

SmartAlx Tumbao

A lot of the time we record the pattern learned in class. A good instructor will repeat pertinent detail while performing the pattern for video. If it's not enough ask him/her to repeat some of the important details of the moves after class.