Dancing in New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Crow, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Crow

Crow Son Montuno

I found a very short thread on this that wasn't too helpful, so I thought I'd post this.

I'm going to be in New Orleans next week to attend a conference for school. I'm going to be super busy, but I want to go dancing at least one night while I'm there. I'll have Wednesday night free, and Thursday and Friday might also work.

Are there any places to go on those nights that are fantastic? (if they're near to my hotel, even better; I'll be staying on Canal st.) I found a listing for places to go, but I have no idea as to the quality.

Also, what do they dance there? I'm an On1 dancer. (hoping to start learning On2 here, soon).

2. jaytea

jaytea Changui

Hi everyone!

I'm going to New Orleans next weekend (Thursday-Sunday). Does anyone know the best places to go dancing? On2, if possible?

I found a bunch of old sites when I did an internet search.

Also found a Wordpress blog called Lea's Salsa List that at least looks to be updated.

I would be interested to see what you guys have to say, though!

Thanks.

3. Crow

Crow Son Montuno

Hope you have better luck than I did!

4. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

The only place I know of is Mojitos on Frenchman Street at Esplanade. The band Fredy Omar y Su Banda plays there but I don't know what night they play or if anyone goes and what they might dance. The local latino community in New Orleans is mostly Central American so cumbia style is the most likely version of salsa dancing.

N.O. has become a hip place for professional people to move to but I have no idea if any of them like salsa. There are way too many other music options in New Orleans. Its one of the top centers for live contemporary music in the US and the world, so most people who visit N.O. want to see the superstars on their home turf. People go to see Aaron or Charmaine Neville, Trombone Shorty or Glen David Andrews or members of the Marsalis and Andersson musical families. I guess it would be difficult to maintain a salsa scene under these circumstances.

5. Crow

Crow Son Montuno

From what I heard after talking to my mentor after I came back, that it used to be a solid scene, but after Katrina a lot of the better instructors left and didn't come back, etc.

Mojitos, if I'm thinking of the right place, is on Fridays. When I went, it was the only place I found during the days I was there that was actually playing Salsa music and had actual people dancing. It was the third place I went to that week that supposedly had dancing (the other two that were recommended to me did not). If I'm thinking of the right place, it was one of the most crowded venues I've been to and outside on brick. I danced one song and then left.

6. DJ Yuca

DJ Yuca El Sabroso de Conguero

You may have already tried these, if you have access to (the dreaded) Facebook: New Orleans Salsa Dancers, Inc. They used to post regularly but have been quiet recently (I think one of the instructors may perhaps be in ill health); regardless, they should know whatever there is to know.

7. jaytea

jaytea Changui

Thanks, everyone! I posted to my Facebook wall to see if any of my friends had salsa friends in New Orleans, and in less than 5 minutes I had a salsa contact there. Two, actually. I'll post an update on the venues here after I get back!

The salsa world really is a very small world!

8. Slowdance

Slowdance Descarga

My friends and I ended up coming down to New Orleans. Its friday night so we are going to hope Mojitos is still active. Wish us luck. :)

9. Slowdance

Slowdance Descarga

We found Mojitos on July 26 (friday) 2013 and it was very active. There was a live band playing salsa, bachata, merengue, with a little cha-cha and some other stuff. It was probably at least 50% salsa. During breaks they played similar stuff. Pretty tight quarters on the floor, lots of dancers. I saw On1, On2 and Cuban style in effect. There was dancing until at least 3am. I personally danced the most after 2 am when the band left simply because at that point the floor went from 100% packed to 50%, so it was just easier to pick out people to ask to dance (or to be asked).

Also Mojitos had a ton of people outside the dance area who were just there because it was a cool hangout/bar/etc so it was just a busy/fun place in general.

We definitely plan to go back!

(Just adding to the thread to give a datapoint to ppl searching this thread in the future.)

10. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

That pretty much describes any place in N.O. (that is not on Bourbon Street)

11. TSC

TSC Tumbao

Any other recs for New Orleans? Going there next week but leaving Friday night so no Mojitos :( :(

12. Sabrosura

Sabrosura El Sabroso de Conguero

Hi all,

Thought I'd check to see if anyone had any other recommendations for dancing in New Orleans, besides Mojitos--I'll be there on a Monday and Tuesday night in a few weeks.

Thanks!

13. Slowdance

Slowdance Descarga

Well this is awkward. I just found out that Mojitos closed recently. But the salsa night group apparently moved to Dragon's Den next door. Hopefully you found it. My friends went this past Friday and discovered this.

Anyway, betwen Dragon's Den and Chris Owens Night Club, they danced Friday night from Midnight until 5 am sat morning.

This was June 6, 2014 for anyone who finds this thread later.

14. Steffiela

Steffiela Changui

Club Silhouette is in Metairie, just a few minutes outside the city. They have Latin night on the weekends and a calendar of events. Location is safer than Frenchmen St., where Dragon's Den is still doing great too. Also, there are a few dance studios that do a social dance every month, under the USA Dance group (look for Gumbo Dance chapter for calendar of events).

Slowdance likes this.
  15. Slowdance

Slowdance Descarga

Does Club Silhouette do salsa every week? A friend told me they thought it was just on certain weeks of the month.

As for Chris Owens club and Dragons Den, I felt safe, but I was with a group of four (went this past weekend) and never felt uncomfortable.

But I would definitely like to check out club Silhouette. Anywhere new is worth a shot!!

16. Sailor7769

Sailor7769 Changui

I'll be in New Orleans November 18-21 and am looking for socials or dance venues. Does anyone have recent experience dancing in New Orleans? Thanks in advance.

17. Srikanth

Srikanth Changui

I know Wednesdays at Eiffell society draws a pretty good crowd, I was there just the one time though.
    Can anyone recommend a list of good salsa dancing paces for other weeknights?