CUBA

Discussion in 'Salser@s Anonymous' started by terence, Jul 9, 2015.

1. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

U.S. Cruise ships have been sanctioned for visits starting in 2016.

2. timberamayor

timberamayor El Sabroso de Conguero

Yeah I saw that. I guess we'll see what congress does to try to lock things and what happens after the next presidential election. Hopefully things will have gone too far to reverse, but I know the right wig is going to try to turn things back.

Jag75 likes this.
  3. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

I don't see a downside for either country .And, hopefully it will bring work for many cubanos .

4. timberamayor

Logically, there is no downside. But the opponents of normalizing relations are not interested in that. They just want to keep the embargo/travel ban etc until the Castros are gone etc.

5. Bradley Frank

Bradley Frank Son Montuno

Cruise ship price for Cuba are ridiculous expensive. Not worth it

6. Resides

Resides Sonero

When did you go ?. They 'can' be expensive. There's all types of offerings depending on season, booking time , etc.. Did you use Expedia? Our friends did one a couple years back. We usually do an all inclusive resort but their cruise wasn't much more.

I'm not a cruise fan but some folks love them.

7. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

Some people, IMO with some justification, are worried about going to Cuba and finding a Starbucks on every block in Havana.

8. Resides

Resides Sonero

That remiss lasts for a day or so when travelling for most people.

It's refreshing to have 'the familiar' when travelling. Maui is full of Canadians in January. It's great that there's a Walmart just outside the airport...run in a get a new t-shirt. ...and a few Mcdonalds here and there. It's fine to drink coconut milk but also nice to grab a cheap cup of coffee in the morning. Fun to snorkel in the waves but also nice to get good Internet access at the hotel.

The things we find 'quaint' can be but there's a reason the washboard was replaced with a washing machine. Nice to be able to send a text rather than a 10 word telegram.

People will travel to Alsace, the region of France I grew up in. They are surprised to find both supermarkets and castles. As if the former takes something away from the ambiance. I suppose they could all be given knives to butcher a squealing pig outside the hotel. Then they would appreciate the grocery store a lot more.

terence likes this.
  9. azana

azana Super Moderator Staff Member

Cuba has a pretty impressive environmental record, and doing farming and so forth the traditional way has preserved it to an extent not seen in many places. The fear is that this will be threatened if resorts and cruise ship amenities are constructed to cater to a surge in American tourists. It's such a unique and magical place!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    calichris10 likes this.
  10. timberamayor

11. Salsa Student

Salsa Student Pattern Police

Ever since the demise of the Soviet Union, it's seemed obvious (at least to me) that there wasn't going to be a normalization of relations until the generation that left Cuba when Castro took power either died out or became too old to be politically active. I think we're at that point now, although the Republicans will try to use the issue to beat up Obama (politicians being political, who would have guessed, right?).

12. BullitproofSoul

BullitproofSoul Shine Officer

This is no offense to you, but...its "nicer", its easier, but its a lamer way to travel.

The idea of traveling, in my book, is to remove yourself from your normal confines, to different confines. Many benefits are bestowed by this: the biggest, in my view, is finding out who else you can be when in different environs.

The total range of the kind of person you can change into is limited when those new environs are too similiar to your original environment. Maybe you do need to slaughter a pig. How will you ever know that you had the knack for killing a beast when you snacked on McDonalds and Starbucks your whole journey? Or, more to the point, was it even a journey, or were you just doing more of the same at a different GPS location?

matty, wol and lidiap like this.
  13. azana

Memories...a group I was travelling with DID slaughter a pig once!! One guy was a sheep farmer from NZ. I'll guiltily admit it was delicious. We followed it by a banana cake baked in a makeshift oven we dug in the ground; the locals had added a certain ingredient into it, which, errr, grows by the side of the road in Malawi. As s result, I and some other backpackers spent Christmas 1994 in a 'hospital' in Lilongwe. Really amazing experience. You actually don't expect Starbucks, McDonalds or anything remotely like them if you are a traveller and visit places like Central Asia, Latin America, Africa. Resides' post described tourists, visiting tourist trail / developed countries, not travelling. Travellers know you want to experience and appreciate different cultures and lifestyles, not transplants of North America.

wol, BullitproofSoul and lidiap like this.
  14. azana

It's Marco Rubio being a key stumbling block; interviews in his parents' old neighbourhood in Havana demonstrated little support for Rubio's views.

15. lidiap

lidiap Descarga

Are you actually saying it would be "nice" to see Starbucks, Walmart, and McDonald's in Havana? Really???

azana likes this.
  16. timberamayor

I let others do the salughtering but I happily eat the pig when it's done ;)

azana likes this.
  17. azana

I certainly didn't watch! I just saw Bede walking back holding a long knife dripping with blood. I still feel bad about it, but back in 90s Africa (particularly when you're just camping wherever) it wasn't easy to find food or plumbing. Reaching Lake Malawi meant we could have a bath!

In Hawaii I stayed in a simple, rustic hostel in Volcano village for a week and hiked every day. On some trails I didn't see a single person, including climbing Mauna Kea. I'm planning to visit Maui next year, and all I'll want to see is a campground and trailheads.

18. timberamayor

I've heard great things about Maui.

19. timberamayor

There is really an explosion of people doing films and articles and even the first reality show from Cuba is staring soon on Discovery about Cuban Cars. Here's a movie/music project from Canada with Alex Cuba collaborating

terence likes this.
  20. BullitproofSoul

BullitproofSoul Shine Officer

You can peel the yuca then. And grate it too. Enjoy your bloody knuckles.

timberamayor likes this.