congress General

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by himji, Nov 25, 2008.

1. himji

himji Sonero

Hmm, with all the posts about the GB and SFO Congress' it's made me want to go to one. The thing is, I'm not sure if I could live up to a whole weekend of Salsa! Are they just be as intense as they sound? I suppose I'd just have to give it a whirl. See how I fare.

Also, I'm a single guy and none of my friends are into Salsa, so I'd go by myself, am I likely to get bored? I'm usually good with my own company and do mix well but the liklihood is there will be times when I will end up on my own. I'm cool with it but I'd rather not be that wierd guy in the corner.

So I suppose what I'm saying is convince me to go, it won't take much either I'm sure
  2. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

If you have stamina and are well fed & on form by the time you get there, you will have a blast! Eating and sleeping are the only times you will not be surrounded by people and distractions, and if you're doing it right you might welcome the downtime of a meal on your own. You meet people in the workshops so you can earmark them for later social dancing / avoiding :twisted: as appropriate...

If you end up that weird guy in the corner, most congresses are big enough that 90% of the people there won't have seen you hanging out with no mates, and you can just go to another corner and be the life and soul.
  3. himji

himji Sonero

Ok convinced lol. Gives me till May to get my dancing in order. That'll be oodles of time I'm sure my confidence levels will be on a high by then :)
  4. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

You want convincing, hmmm imagine if you listened to cds and LOVED this group playing. Now they are coming to town, are you going to see them live? Do you need convincing?

:) :) :)

Even if the congress (live band) is not what you expected, you OWE it to yourself to just go see it at least once for the experience. Why? Not just for the band but for the collection of amazing people/dancers and PEOPLE JUST LIKE YOU that are out there pushing themselves and their passion.

Now to answer your queries:

Hint: you cannot!!! No one can. Its like a buffet, you don't go expecting or trying to eat EVERYTHING on the table but you have the option to choose what works for you. Some will just eat the seafood (the workshops), others just the meat and potatoes (the socials), others the dessert (performances) and others will try a little bit of everything. It is up to you what you do.

Also, you Choose your involvement once there which is the beauty. Search for some of the congress threads on here to prepare you. The guys on here REALLY helped me and increased my first congress experience a MILLION fold so check those posts :)

Let me rephrase if I may :)

Do you think I will get bored being at an event where many people who share my passion come together with a variety of backgrounds. There will be performances, social dancing, workshops and an opportunity to do something a bit different. To immerse myself in a new scene, new music and new oppportunites?

You post well and seem to come across as loving salsa so I think you will do great. As for the intensity of the weekend etc, one of the PREMIERE benefits to me of congresses/travelling/visitors is that I get to sit out and watch OTHERS dance whom I have not seen before. Even people from my scene, as I usually dance non stop here. It is WONDERFUL inspiration.

I never go for that reason but it is honestly the reason I always feel so good afterwards. It just gives hope, encouragement and a wonderful feeling to see others expressing such a beautiful joyful past time.

Ultimately the reason I suggest everyone try it at least once: Your questions about whether you should go, wouldn't it be great to be able to answer that yourself next time from your own experiences ;)

:) :) :)

*definitely check out the congress posts on here though, very helpful ESPECIALLY on choosing what to select from the buffet for your first time ;)
  5. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

ps looking forward to you posting your recap as well :)
  6. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

i think one of the 'pontins' weekenders makes a great first 'congress' experience. they're in the UK, slightly cheaper than most congresses (self-catering accommodation included) and have a friendlier atmosphere. there's also a higher-than-average proportion of beginners/improvers/intermediates than at most congresses.

you can find more info on the salsafever dot com website, and/or the organiser, cressida childs is on facebook....i think her company name is 'club cubana' - though the events arent usually particularly cuban-style. should be info on pontins' own website too...

i would suggest trying to take an acquaintance from one of your salsa classes to room with (if you dont have salsa friends yet), as it's nice to have someone guaranteed to hang out with....though you'll meet people at classes and parties.

take:

2 changes of clothes for workshops each day
    3 to 4 changes of clothes for night-time parties (which can go on til 6 or 8am)
    a 'bottle' to take to in-room afterparties
    really, really comfortable shoes for dancing (ideally 'bloch' dance trainers and jazz shoes).
    elastoplasts, ibuprofen gel and tablets & freeze spray
    handcream & foot lotion
    condoms ;) (personally, i wouldnt want to spare the time from dancing, lol, but a lot of people 'hook up' at congresses)
    black binbags & sellotape, or an eyemask (particularly at pontins, the curtains do zero to keep light out and you'll probably be sleeping in the morning)
    CD-player/ipod+speakers, or other means to play salsa in your room
    videocamera - check the rules about taping workshops/shows etc
    i always take plenty of healthy snack foods (almonds, bananas etc), since some venues only seem to sell junk food
    pontins didnt used to sell chewing gum.....i cant remember whether they changed that, but just in case...

have fun! and whatever you do, dont expect to get any sleep all weekend -arrive well-fed & rested, and if at all possible, take a day or two off work the following week. :cool:
  7. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Take a look at this thread, which may be useful to you:
    :arrow: Should beginners attend congresses?

As I wrote in that thread,
    So don't think "I'll wait till I'm better/more confident" - check what's coming up, and if there's anything that interests you, go for it!

I was also going to mention Pontins as a beginner-friendly weekender. Brean Sands must be coming up soon and I've heard lots of good things about the event (along with not so great things about the accommodation :lol:). Also, don't miss MamboCity's 5 star congress in May - one of my favourite congresses :)
  8. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

Listen to Macmoto, she is one of the congress experts around and probably closing in on a record he he :)
  9. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Not really... I only managed 4 this year as the plan to attend GBSEx fell through :(
  10. crazygirl

crazygirl Rhythm Deputy

I find it hard to resist eating absolutely everything! First congress the parties can be overwhelming if big event so nice to have a friends around if possible.
  11. himji

himji Sonero

/overwhelmed/

I love the buffet ananlogy. The thing is, I will want starters, main course dessert and all the things that come in between :p

Pontins is coming up very shortly (thanks Amanda/Macmoto). Too many reasons not to go, I have my son that weekend, single occupancy doesn't seem possible looking at the forms. But something tells me I should go, I'll spend some time working that out :)

MamboCity is the one I was looking at Macmoto, I'll definately check that one out then, I started out taking lessons with them @ ealing on a Tuesday but since moving away form London, not been back but I'm always getting emails from them.

Once again, thanks for the replies and inspiration. amanda, the cliff notes are a really helpful, should be made into a sticky info post :)
  12. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

lol - then you are definitely my style he he :)

I try not to expect eating everything but prepare myself in case I do lol (i.e plenty of rest beforehand...........and hibernate after ha ha )
  13. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

there's a phone number for bookings too....they used to be able to give you a single occupancy price. if it's not full, often it doesnt cost much more than sharing. my favourite way to go, used to be having a chalet on my own, next door to a group of friends. best of both worlds - complete peace, quiet and tidiness at home (plus 27C room temperature with no complaints), homecooked food, music, company, alcohol and massages next door. :cool:

do you know ibrahim from afro cuban pa'ti? go live next door to him and his brother soloman.....legendary cooking and hospitality. i mean legendary... :cool::cool::cool: those are nice, nice guys. :cool:
  14. himji

himji Sonero

Well I was this close < > to put my name down on the waiting list for sharers (they allowed bookings from singkles and then paired them up) which might have worked out really well as if they were cool enough might have been good company :)

but the ex already has plans for that weekend which means I will have my son and thus no party for me.

Nevermind, it was at the expense of this weekend which already is lined up to be spectacular :)