Congress/Festival Reviews

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Offbeat, Jun 21, 2016.

1. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

YES, THIS! The food on the resort is very average. Pizza is pretty decent, as is some of the pasta. The rest is fairly crappy imo. Buffets at the main hotels are somewhere between completely inedible and ok. Breakfasts are pretty good though - or night food as late night dancers call it :D (party ended at 7 fri-sun, same time as breakfast started).

Offbeat likes this.
  2. terence

terence Maestro 'Descarga' Cachao

I have heard the style played in latin clubs, but never in regular salsa clubs.
    In Tampa, there was always a Bolero styled song played, to which all did the traditional slow dance. And, Romantica always goes down well with the latino clubs . I actually met 2 well known singers over the years ,that did impromptu visits .

3. Smejmoon

Smejmoon El Sabroso de Conguero

It gets played sometimes in Europe. Also bolero-son, bolero-guajira and even bolero-salsa-cover song. For example

terence likes this.
  4. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

I also think @Live2dance would have been very happy with the lack of spins in Sibenik - continuing the trend I've seen of non-spinning linear dancers who dominate the upper echolon of congress floors.

Also witnessed a cha cha with Magna and some other awesome, awesome guy I've never seen in any vids. Easily one of the best dances I've ever seen, live or otherwise. Almost a shame that it wasn't recorded.

5. Offbeat

Offbeat El Sabroso de Conguero

To all festivals I have been to in past year and in my local socials, I see no spin-fest. Let's put the notion that there is a lot of spin going on to rest. There may be some dancers indulging in it but not the most. At sibenik, many dancers were trying to be musical within their own limitations. Tricks and spins were being done back in 50s too. I danced with enough Romanians, Russians and others who can put even good trained latinas to shame when it comes to musicality, sabor and rhythm. Being trained doesn't take away those elements. One thing I observed is that those dancing for 8-9 years or more were the one displaying all those traits. Which is not surprising. Since all those who sing praises of latin@s dancers (looking at you terence :p ), forget that they are often comparing someone who has been steeped in dancing since younger days (therefore 10, 20, 30 years of experience?) with some intermediate level followers they watch on youtube.

LarsM likes this.
  6. Offbeat

I am totally with you. I haven't attended them in Tango community. I hope it doesn't catch up in Salsa.

Though I have always wanted to dance in Prague. It is such a great city and venues can be great!

7. Offbeat

I knew you would said that. Hence I qualified "to me". Whether you like or not, most on2 events these days are billed as "mambo" events. So if event is advertised as "mambo", people know what to expect - salsa dura, on2 dancing.

On a separate not it would be good idea to start a thread on what constitutes mambo.

Chris_Yannick likes this.
  8. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

Yeah I was mostly poking fun at L2D :p

9. Chris_Yannick

Chris_Yannick Rhythm Deputy

I didn't ask. I wouldn't pay full price because I prefer to choose what I do. The Heidelberg festival sounds more like an all-inclusive retreat, which I do not want. I want a la carte. :)

10. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Eastern Europeans have a long ballet and even BR tradition. Which hints at what you really like...:D (poking back)...

11. Smejmoon

People who dance well.

LarsM likes this.
  12. LarsM

LarsM Tumbao

13. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

:D

14. Live2dance

Live2dance Shine Officer

Indeed people who know how to use their bodies from their toes to their heads; what position to take; when to use toes or heels; how to break down the music and use their bodies appropriately to emphasise it. Still...

15. Smejmoon

Btw. Back to festival reviews. In Šibenik I took a yoga class from salsa dancer to salsa dancers and we dedicated quite a bit of time to heels and toes and feet in general. Supposedly that improves dancing after some time. Anyone else has done that?