Club Security

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by Salsa Bear, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Salsa Bear

Salsa Bear Sabor Ambassador

I've been checking out some of the local Salsa venues. Last weekend, I visited one of Seattle's most popular clubs and was surprised to find something I've seen at no other club: Security.

In fact, it reminded me of Homeland Security. There was no shortage of big, burly bouncers and guys wearing black shirts sporting the letters SECURITY. Another guy with a portable metal detector examined people entering the club.

So I can only assume that this club attracts its share of trouble makers. (However, I saw nothing even slightly offensive while I was there; it was a very nice place.)

Anyway, I just wondered how rough the Salsa crowd gets at various venus, in various cities and countries. I've never seen anything approaching a fight, and I don't think I've even heard any arguments or name calling...with one exception.

As I was leaving the above (not) mentioned a club, a car drove by me as a woman yelled at me out the window, "F*CK YOU!" (If she was asking me to dance with her next time, she should have at least given me her name!)

2. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

The only time I've seen that was at the last NYC Congress where they examined any bags to make sure we weren't smuggling in liquid of any kind (like water).

3. Salsa Bear

Smuggling Bottled Water?!

LOL - If anyone tries to tell me Salsa is sleazy, I'll just tell them the only thing Salsa dancers get busted for is attempting to smuggle water, and many women won't even talk to you because they're there to dance - period. :)

4. Joy in Motion

Joy in Motion Sonero

Yep, the only Latin club in our city has security. It varies depending on the night, but sometimes they will even mildly frisk the gentlemen. The history of this club includes stabbing and even shooting incidences (only very occasionally, but for some people even one is enough to keep them away). A "dangerous" element typically tends to be there more on Saturdays then on Fridays, thus the heightened security, and the incidents that have happened have usually been ethnic in nature.

5. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Salsa Bear, does the club only do salsa, or does it cater to other types of crowds too?

I think bouncers are a common sight at night clubs in the UK, and even though salsa crowds are much less troublesome, bouncers are still there on salsa nights as matter of club policy (I wonder if there's a legal requirement). I don't remember ever seeing metal detectors, but some clubs in London had bag searches, which I think were introduced after one of the bomb attacks. I also remember places that did bag searches to stop people smuggling in drinks (mostly water in the case of salsa dancers :roll:).

Fights at salsa nights are very very rare, since people there are usually too busy dancing and many are completely sober. Most of the troubles I've witnessed were caused by drunken non-dancers

6. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

Back in the day when I was still dancing in Chicago clubs often had security. They would typically wear black suits and try to look like the men-in-black movie dudes. Nowadays most of the salsa clubs are in restaurants and most don't even have an age limit, you can bring your kids and save money on a babysitter. The venues that still have security guys in black suits (and may need them because of incidents on non-salsa nights) don't really cater to salsa dancers even when they advertise salsa nights. They typically play 50%+ reggaeton plus merengue and bachata and there is hardly any time left for salsa, so many salsa dancers don't go there.

7. ptwist

ptwist Tumbao

You went to centuryballroom huh? Hehe.

I was there one time ... I was only 18 but there was nothing that indicated I wasn't allowed in. Now I hear they been strict on the age limits. I'm only 20 now so boo hoo I have to wait another 4 months :(

Hope you had fun though. I would think it's more of a thing to keep away any creepy people and youngins who go just to get a quick liquor.

8. Salsa Bear

They have two floors - Salsa on the lower floor and Reggaeton on the upper floor. The Reggaeton crowd seemed much younger, and I have a hunch it's the crowd that causes the most problems (though it was mellow when I was there).

I had heard that this club is a little wild - sort of a pick-up place, at least. However, it seemed pretty normal/nice when I was there.

9. Salsa Bear

No, I haven't been to Century in a few weeks. They've been having cabarets there, so Salsa has been starting later, plus the cabaret crowd seems to change the atmosphere and drive away many of the Salsa veterans. So I've been using this period to explore some other clubs.

I think Century will be back to "normal" in a week or two. (I don't mean to diss the cabaret crowd; I'm sure they're nice people. But the atmosphere was very different both times I went there on cabaret nights. However, I'm going to Century tomorrow evening for my first Cha Cha class. I LOVE Cha Cha.)

10. redsalsero

redsalsero Sonero

One thing i have noticed @ salsa veneu theres almost no security or mayby not at the door atleast.only those people that check if you have a ticket.
    And at regular clubs thers alwyas security @ the door. Anyways i really dislike if they search my bag and take out my water and deo.
    Just to throw it away. I never got why tehy pull out my deo tough. So far only happened 1 time but still.
    Worst of all you cant complain because i think if i do so i will be denied acces.

11. actzipild

actzipild Changui

Well, I should mention that I live in Romania.

I am rather new to the salsa scene so I haven't been to clubs outside my city (Bucharest). I have been to two salsa clubs here (one of them i visit 4-5 nights/day) and both of them had only the guys that sell the tickets. Also I haven't seen any fights or arguments.

12. kerry.alder

kerry.alder Sonero

Many of the females can say to the 150 kg security hulk, "and where exactly can I hide a bottle of water in this salsa dress?" haha ;)