Classic timba

Discussion in 'Salsa Music' started by timberamayor, Nov 9, 2012.

1. timberamayor

timberamayor Maestro 'El Diferente' Canales

Since we have a new timba thread and since there are often questions about timba suggestions, what are some of your favorite classic timba songs? Granted this is probably not a good beginner song or a good song for transitioning from linear to Cuban but I love it.

Manolín "Si te vas conmigo"

MrTanguero likes this.
  2. timberamayor

And NGs Papá Changó just blows me away every time I hear it (doesn\t start until about 1:30 becasue El Tosco is opening teh concert which was recorded "from the patio of my house" as the Cd is titled, timba del barrio de verdad!

3. tocatimba

tocatimba Shine Officer

The Charanga with Michel Maza singing .... it just doesn't get any better than that:

¡¡ pa 'que se entere La Habana, agua mala !!

MrTanguero likes this.
  4. timberamayor

Ah indeed! Excellent choice.

5. timberamayor

Here is a rarity, also CH with Michel on lead. Tirso Duarte wrote and arranged this song for Michel right after the break-up of the original band. It was one of the first new songs, but it was never recorded on a studio CD. This performance was in late 1998. Tirso later recorded it on his first solo CD "Si la vida te dice baila", but with a somewhat changed arrangement. this version is vintage Charanga Habanera and check out Tirso's piano playing! Kevin will have the tumbaos to this in his Tirso piano book.
    http://youtu.be/Osz7Be3Pt1Q

6. Papa Chango is not classic. Que Viva Chango is though.

Actually none of the ones mentioned here except the Manolin are. :)

7. The song that started it all:

MrTanguero likes this.
  8. And the other:

9. timberamayor

well que viva is just a cover really. Of the two I prefer papa chango and I personally consider this era to be a classic timba era. I guess it depends on what your definition of classic is, and maybe what your definition of timba is.

10. timberamayor

elaborate please on the seminal nature of this song :)

11. timberamayor

And this one

12. First song to use the ubiquitous timba bass drum pattern. Performed by a trombonist.
    One of the first hits (along with La Expresiva and Los Sitios Entero) of NG.

Papa Chango is so far removed from "classic" NG I wouldn't consider it classic timba. What was the release date -- 2000 or so? Heck even 1997 isn't classic timba. That'd be the height of timba.

13. timberamayor

LOL When I say classic I mean "classic" in the sense of "of the first or highest quality, class, or rank", "serving as a standard, model, or guide".

14. MrTanguero

MrTanguero Changui

If I had to pick one song, it would be this one. People with less experience have trouble catching the beat, but it's fricking awesome nonetheless.

15. timberamayor

Certainly a favorite of mine but I find it almost impossibel to pick a single favorite. But certainly at the top of my list, possibly my favorite is Pura vestimenta by Van Van from "Lo último en vivo".

MrTanguero likes this.
  16. Heck yea. Angel Bonne was great. Aunque te vistas de seda lo mismo siempre seras.

timberamayor likes this.
  17. Here's one. The CH version is from 92 I think. Don't know the year on this one.

timberamayor likes this.
  18. timberamayor

I have a CF video from la tropical which is from 1998 but it's not this one. the clothes aren't the same. I expect you have that one too. Love Mandy's singing!

19. No, I only have what's been loaded to YouTube. :) The one thing I had on VHS was Issac at casa de la feu. Which is now on YouTube as well. One of the guys on the trip was taking private lessons with Cuayo, so Cuayo invited him to the gig and he videotaped the whole show. Pretty awesome stuff.

20. timberamayor

yes
    that is known to me as "the croy concert" LOL