Chicago SFers

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by GForce85, Apr 30, 2010.

1. GForce85

GForce85 Rhythm Deputy

I'm going home to the Chi next week to visit my mom for Mother's Day! I'll be there Thursday through Monday, although I'll probably only dance on Friday and/or Saturday. My sister dances too so she can probably tell me places to go, but I'm open to any suggestions from you all as well (b/c she's in law school and won't necessarily be able to go with me). It would be good to meet/dance with any of you if I can, so I just wanted to put out an early alert :)
  2. catarina

catarina Son Montuno

Yay!
    Friday club options are Alhambra or Rumba. There's a social at Latin Rhythms Dance Studio: http://www.latinrhythmsdance.com/mixer.html I'd recommend the social as the level of dancing, quality of the floor & the space will be the best. Rumba makes excellent caipirinhas and mojitos though :)

Saturday, there's a social at Latin Street Dancing http://www.laboriqua.com/welcome/event.asp?id=244, as well as the option of dancing at Rumba, or Tumbao.

Personally, my favorite night of the week to go out is Sunday night at the Cubby Bear. You can get in free, the space is great, I think the DJ is terrific (he plays more commercial stuff earlier in the evening and the music just progressively gets better as the evening wears on), it starts relatively early (decent crowd as early as 9), and is overall a good bet.

Drop me a PM if you want to meet up--I'll probably be at the social on Friday and definitely at the Cubby Bear on Sunday as well!
  3. GForce85

GForce85 Rhythm Deputy

Thanks so much for the info! That's funny about Sunday, it's also my favorite night here in L.A. because of a place with pretty much that same description. Anyway, I PM'd you :)
  4. jaytea

jaytea Changui

I'm glad to hear that there's so much going on in the Chicago salsa scene! I'm moving to Chicago next month and will be there next week to check out potential apartments and go dancing! I'd love to meet up with any SFers in the area.
  5. catarina

catarina Son Montuno

Hey Jaytea!
    Definitely drop me a line when you're in town & want to head out dancing. There's atleast one option every night of the week, rarely a weak night to go out :)
  6. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

If Manolito y su Trabuco* stop in at Park West on Friday May 21, I'll be in town and probably stay over on Saturday night. What's the lineup for Saturday May 22 ? I'll be leaving Sunday morning though so no CB for me.

*Trabuco is ~90% confirmed For Park West. Their LA concerts were totally awesome based on the buzz on various forums.
  7. catarina

catarina Son Montuno

Hey B&T!
    I was wondering if you'd heard or were planning on coming for that concert! I just heard about it last night & am relieved to hear that it's in the 90% confirmed state. As far as I know, tickets haven't gone on sale yet (atleast Park West has no idea that there's even a concert that night thus far).

Too bad you can't stay in town for CB. It really is my favorite. For Saturday, the 22nd, here are a couple options (beyond Tumbao & Rumba):
    http://www.latinrhythmsdance.com/griselle_workshops.html Latin Rhythms event with Griselle Ponce. 9-1, $10 for the social.

Latin Street will also have a studio social: http://www.laboriqua.com/welcome/event.asp?id=87 Also, $10 for the social

There's another event that's a kick-off party for the Puerto Rican Parade/Festival:
    Taking place at Green Dolphin, $25: http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr245/nightcityevents/CeliaCruz_fr-copy.jpg
    ...and the second page of the flyer: http://i488.photobucket.com/albums/rr245/nightcityevents/CeliaCruz_bk-copy1.jpg

I think either social will be well-attended and fun. I would have no idea what to expect of the Green Dolphin event. See you on the 21st!

8. catarina

catarina Son Montuno

By the way, anybody else coming into town for the Manolito concert? I'm hoping to meet some folks from St. Louis, Detroit, Indianapolis... :)
  9. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

I don't know, I should send some messages out to people in those places. Word is that the online ticket sales start Wednesday (tomorrow).

Btw, the same promoter in Chicago is working on getting Pupy Y Los Que Son Son to stop off in Chicago on their June USA tour. At this rate, I may be making several trips down this summer. carameloentertainment.com/
  10. CaribSalsera

CaribSalsera Son Montuno

Any updates regarding Chicago salsa venues? I'll be in town from November 4th to 8th for training and hope to get the opportunity to go dancing!
  11. gentlegiant

gentlegiant Changui

I assume you are staying downtown. These are all in the city - most a short 'L' or cab ride from downtown. There are a few salsa nights in the suburbs but those are 25-30 miles from downtown. I don't post a lot so I cant include links. These are my picks for best bets:
    Sunday - Cubby Bear across from Wrigley Field. Live band. The dancing is usually very good. This week's band is not pure salsa though. Take the red line train from downtown. Google Latin Street Dancing
    Monday - Patron's Hacienda. Small but friendly crowd. Good DJ. River North location is close to Michigan Ave hotels. Google hoton1salsa
    Tuesday - Alhambra Palace. Huge place (great decor), big crowd. Just west of popular Randolph Street restaurants. Google 4fantasticevents
    Wednesday - El Caobo is playing a social down in Hyde Park but cab fare there would be expensive. There is a also Lalo's south of the loop but I haven't been there so can't really comment. I think it's a smaller crowd.
    Thursday - Excalibur has run a salsa night for over a decade. They get a good crowd and there are 2 rooms. I not a fan of the place because I find it too clubby - dark or flashing lights with a big sound system that's almost oppressive. I'm including it because you can walk to it from most hotels. Google Latin Street Dancing.
    One of the big studios is starting a Thursday night socials beginning on the 8th. Latin Rhythms has had good socials on weekends so this might be worth a look. The studio is on the west side around the corner from Alhambra. Google Latin Rhythms.
  12. CaribSalsera

CaribSalsera Son Montuno

Thanks for this information! I'll try to get out to at least one of these nights.
  13. Flying Donkey

Flying Donkey Tumbao

Hi there. Thanks for the recentish advice as to where to go in Chicago, especially as a mass transit and taxi only tourist. Just wondering what is the predominant style? I'm happy with any type of crossbody, but I can't dance Cuban to save my life. I've also heard (maybe falsely) that I'll need to dance bachata more than I do in London? Anywhere central I should avoid on a Sun -Wed / Thurs because of this (cubo - bachata centric)? I'm not coming till the weekend after Labor Day, but it would be nice to have some information in advance..;)
  14. alvinthethird

alvinthethird Tumbao

Most dancers you will encounter are on1 xbody, though there is a growing number of on2 dancers here. Not sure how much you dance bachata in London, but avoid lalos on wednesdays, which is roughly 50% salsa / 50%bachata, and there is a friday night venue that has a similar ratio. The rise of 7 bachata teams over the last 2 years here definitely means in general more gets played than i would like to hear. If you message me or bump this thread closer to the date, I can give you the most updated info.
    Flying Donkey likes this.
  15. Flying Donkey

Flying Donkey Tumbao

Thanks alvinthethird. In the Uk, I usually use the bachata to go to the bar / john. Off to see the inlaws in rural Ohio around Labor Day. They've got their County Fair and all. Had a blast at the wedding and hoping for a repeat this year. Anywhere decent to buy some new shoes on my visit?
  16. alvinthethird

alvinthethird Tumbao

I actually don't know, I've never brought a pair of real dance shoes. I'll ask around.
    And I remember once while at a friends studio social in Indiana once, when the bachata set would start, we would all go do a shot- that made the time pass.
  17. gzboston

gzboston Son

Anyone can provide downtown area salsa venues from Mon to Thursday? I am posting for a girl from China whom I just met a week ago in Boston. She is staying in a downtown hotel and will not want to go far. I had helped her with info in Philly and New York with help from SFers here, so I hope someone can again help her with Chicago as well, thanks in advance.
  18. gzboston

gzboston Son

Found my answers on facebook, so looks like SF is not being used much here.
  19. alvinthethird

alvinthethird Tumbao

Sorry just PM next time you have a question about dancing in CHI- i stay pretty current. Im in europe right now, so havent been checking SF. I think i will just update the city thread for Chicago so people can look there