Bar Salsa in London what do you think?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by salsera101, Aug 25, 2008.

1. salsera101

salsera101 Son Montuno

I went to Salsa! in Charring Cross Rd, London on Sat.

I have been a few times over the years. Is it me or is it getting sleazier in there?

I've never been to more of a meat market! Full of creepy guys groping you and following you around :(

I hope weeknights are better!
  2. Jaime Andres

Jaime Andres Banned

Salsera101, where you ever on Salsero Corner?
  3. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

i avoid like the plague on sat (fri is the same). in my opinion mon is the best, then wed. the rest of the time is rubbish (although i dont dance cuban, which seems to be the main style on a thurs) - so my opinion is slightly biased. salsafusion is on every couple of weeks in great portland st. a couple of the usual suspects (sleaze-wise) show up but most girls know who they are so can avoid. salsafusion is probably the only place id go to on a sat (if you like cuban then you could always try bar rez).
  4. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

Hey there Salsera 101

How's your journey going?
    Bar Salsa on Sat is a regular club night with Latin music it's not a dance social night. It's good fun and the band are great but like nowhiteshoes said (ok maybe in not so many words, or maybe not at all - hehe), it's not the night to go to if you want to dance Salsa safely. ;)

Try Mon or Wed. I kind of have the feeling that you'll prefer Wednesday but definitely go on Monday and take a lesson with Mario/Susana/Shaan(?). They're great teachers!

Next time I'm going out I'll give you a shout ok.
  5. I'd definitely recommend Mondays but go later on (certainly no earlier than 10pm). Haven't been on Wednesdays as yet but plan to soon, I hear they're good for dancers too.

x
  6. salsera101

salsera101 Son Montuno

hi - no that was not me :cool:
  7. salsera101

salsera101 Son Montuno

yeah i will avoid from now on, have had great nites out there with my friends but its just too much of a meat market lol!

What would you say is the predominant style there for Mon and Weds?? I have been learning Cuban up to now but I don't think its popular in the clubs, so I found it hard to follow at Bar Salsa, even on the Saturday night where the standard of dancers wasn't too good..

I've heard about SalsaFusion hope to see you there soon, I'll let you know when I thinking of goin! :banana:
  8. salsera101

salsera101 Son Montuno

Hi there Flujo!

My journey has slowed down a little, well I haven't been to lessons for 2 weeks as I changed jobs recently and the hours are mad - sometimes I'm still working and so I miss my lesson, booo :( going to try and go back tomorrow!

I see the most dedicated people at my lesson, they never miss a week! But for me I can't go every week - I know I always go back though, I'm hooked!! :D Well my friends are starting to know me as the salsa girl hahaha!

I've bought some nice new dancewear and just love the fun I'm having while learning..I've gone back to the gym lately too, do you go? As much as I love dancing I forgot that gym can actually be fun (for me anyway).

How's things, I hope you are still having fun!

Do you do lessons in Bar Salsa often? What style is it? I still get slightly bewildered at the choice in London, lol :D

Cool I will try a lesson there, sure let me know when you're free to join!! :)

9. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

Thanks for the pm Salsera101. I ended up going in the end but did come on to see if you replied. Trust me, you missed out last night!! It was buzzing. It must have been an after buzz from the bank holiday or something. :) I really do have to learn to leave on a high and not stay to the end when the men outnumber the woman 2:1. "Just....one....more....dance". hehe

You missed a great dance by Mario and Lee as well! Next time ok.
  10. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

hehe. I learned this fairly early on and it's been one of my favourite skills. It's like a light goes on in my head that says "you are having the best time you will have tonight! Go home!"

I get earlier nights and avoid the [ throwing up / writing 6th form poetry on the stairs / having conversations about "yeah right, imagine if gravity suddenly reversed, right?" ] bits of parties...
  11. miércoles

miércoles Nuevo Ritmo

You'd need a whole new approach to being "grounded"!
  12. AndrewS

AndrewS Shine Officer

Mon and Wed are a mixture of cross body and Cuban style. The cross body dancers tend to be more 'trained' than the Cuban style. I've heard that Sundays at Bar Salsa are predominantly Cuban style.

You might like Wessex House, by Clapham Junction, on a Thursday night. Although the classes are cross body style the predominant style was Cuban the last time I was there.

One place you should probably avoid is SOS on a Sunday as it's 99.9% cross body style there I think.
  13. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

@Sweavo
    How do you do it? Do you go home the minute the 'one last dance' mantra starts playing?

I remember you saying the same thing last year and I still haven't managed to do it to this day. It's usually when the mantra starts playing that I wonder why I've stopped having such a good time all of a sudden. One thing I've found is that the closer you are to home the easier it is to leave early. It's when you've reached that point in the night when you know that you won't enjoy yourself any more than you already have.
  14. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

I think it's the moment I become aware of what a great time I'm having and of wanting it to continue. That whole wanting part is a bit desperate and is not part of the "happy" picture. So yeah, probably the moment of the last dance mantra.

Just start from your memory of when it went rubbish and work backwards!
  15. Flujo

Flujo Sabor Ambassador

Desperate is the word...I'd never thought of it that way before. I think it's time to replace the light bulb. Thanks again master sweavo. ;)
  16. AndrewS

AndrewS Shine Officer

Good News! Mario is DJing again at Bar Salsa as of last night. Excellent music! Get down there before it starts to get really busy again :)
  17. spotcat

spotcat Banned

I went once, on a Wednesday, a couple of years ago.

Never, ever again.