Att: on2 Leaders what do you do during your shines when partner dancing?

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by mambogear, May 13, 2010.

1. mambogear

mambogear Changui

What do you guys do during shines while social dancing? do you shine with your on2 footwork and then back to the lead footwork when picking up your partner? or do you stick with doing your forward basic on6 through out? Personally I always find myself doing shines on2 and then either syncopate or stretch a count out to get back on the lead footwork? I guess it depends on the music as well.. Your thoughts please.

TIA

2. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

You are distinguishing between "On2 footwork" and "lead footwork"?

Don't know if this helps, but my shines usually end with with the forward part of the basic On6, and then I pick her up.

3. sweavo

sweavo Maestro 'Guaguanco' Rodríguez

when I shine I very rarely "do shines". If I "do shines" then I usually do them however I learned them in terms of footwork but moved to the men's timing, i.e. starting on 6. I also might do shines that I learned on 1 and do them on 1. But the left foot stepping on beat 1 is common to both on1 and on2 men's timing so the two can be intermixed.

But usually when I shine, I just do random stuff that comes to me, and something in my mind shouts "6" every time the 6 comes around. When I want to stop shining, I just catch the 6 and pick up my partner.

4. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

I'm not much good at shines. But when I do them, I switch to On2 ladies timing, since that's how I learned. I'm starting to look more carefully at videos of good On2 dancers, and I think about half the guys switch to ladies timing, the other half staying on men's. The latter seems more advanced to me.

5. Big10

Big10 Shine Officer

That's interesting. I consider myself a beginner (or very low intermediate) when it comes to dancing On2, but I remain with the men's timing/footwork during any shines. It's much harder for me to switch back and forth between men's and women's timing during a social dance.

6. mambogear

mambogear Changui

Thanks everyone for your input!

Sweavo, I do the exact same thing with the mental note of "6". I start my shines on6, but I usually end up with the timing as I learned them or as it feels more natural with the song. I guess what I take from this is whatever feels right and is the correct method :)

7. SalsaGipsy

SalsaGipsy Capitán Del Estilo

You could also direct the question to the followers dancing on1 - same dilemma.

8. AguaDulce

AguaDulce Pattern Police

I always dance on men's timing when social dancing so I can relate.

9. Jag75

Jag75 Rhythm Deputy

I do my shines on ladies' timing. The "trick" I use is start with something simple, like a suzi-q, and simply switch directions on1 (so I start my suzi-q with my right foot), then I'm now doing shines on2 ladies timing. Many shines on2 ladies timing are exactly the same as on1, but in the opposite direction (or use of opposite feet). Another is the rumba (simplified guaguanco, or side-step). On1 I'll step out with my left on the 1, but when I'm dancing on2 I'll simply step out with my right on count 1, hence again automatically switching to on2 ladies timing.

Once I've done that and I'm on2 ladies timing, I then start to do more complex shines and incorporate some pachanga as well (I recommend everyone learns pachanga - Eddie Torres spe******es in it - it's an eye-opener!).

When switching back to mens' timing for partnerwork, I pause briefly for 3 counts whilst moving my shoulders or other styling then step forward on the 6 and collect my partner.

Hope this helps :)

10. mambogear

mambogear Changui

I took several months of footwork class at my studio by an instructor who taught and danced for Santo Rico. I miss that class soooo much! Oh the pachanga step! it was almost the death of me. LOL

11. Shines

Shines Sonero

Women's timing ... really? Instead of using tricks and gimmicks, why not just dance on men's timing?

12. nowhiteshoes

nowhiteshoes Pattern Police

I do them on2 then switch back to on1 timing (when dancing on1):

1 l in place
    2 r back break
    3 l in place (and hovver with my right foot in the air)
    5 r back break! (now on1 timing)
    7 l in place
    7 r to centre

Then go forward on beat 1. So i basically do a double break back without breaking forward (back on beats 2 + 5). This works best for me.

13. SnowDancer

SnowDancer Capitán Del Estilo

Because On2 classes almost always teach shines on ladies' timing.

14. Jag75

Jag75 Rhythm Deputy

Eddie Torres teaches shines on ladies' timing, and many shines (such as pachanga-based ones) only really work properly on ladies' timing.

On2 shines can certainly be done on mens' timing though, so ultimately it comes down to personal preference.

15. Shines

Shines Sonero

Can u elaborate cause I learned my shines on men's timing and have seen ET and others teach on men's timing. U think pachanga only works on ladies' timing?

16. acpjr

acpjr Tumbao

Any shine done on ladies timing can be done on men's timing. There is no conversion that needs to take place like there is when porting shines from on2 to on1, only a shifting of beats.

I think someone mentioned on this board that ET actually recommends shining on men's time (if you're leading) during social dancing.