Athens Salsa Congress roll call (28-30.11.2008)

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by lyndwode, Sep 9, 2008.

1. lyndwode

lyndwode Tumbao

Hello all!

I am just wondering who is going? Who has even heard about it?! I heard about it a couple of weeks ago, the crazy lineup including

EL GRAN COMBO and NEW SWING SEXTET

playing there and got right to it. Flight and hotel already booked, and my connections got me a pass ;) but to see those great bands (and I am not a fan of live bands at congresses!!!) it is really worth the price.

I booked a 5 star hotel with an american website (priceline), and got it for 80$ a night!

google it!

a
  2. antigone

antigone Pattern Police

I heard of it *sigh*. It's just too expensive for the us US dollar earners right now. I've still got my sights set on Prague next spring.
  3. tj

tj Shine Officer

I didn't realize Athens, GA was having a congress.

...oh wait! :wink:
  4. lolita

lolita Capitán Del Estilo

If I were in Egypt, I would've gone in a heart beat... it cost 70 dollars to fly from Cairo to Athens !
    Not so much for the USD. :S
  5. TrulyMadlyAmanda

TrulyMadlyAmanda Shine Officer

lolita, where did you see that cairo to athens plane fare please? :eek:

i live in cairo and am planning to go to this congress (yay!), but expected the fare to be around $400 return...

there are a group of us planning to go from egypt. :cool::bouncy:
  6. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to SalsaForums, TrulyMadlyAmanda - hope you'll like it here :)

(I didn't realise you were in Egypt - when did you move? How's salsa in Cairo?)
  7. TrulyMadlyAmanda

thanks macmoto! now i'm trying to think who i know in tokyo....hmmm. PM me a hello, and i promise to keep your secret identity. :cool:

did you know i spent the past couple of years living in cuba...? i loved it there, but decided to move for lots of practical reasons. i love london - especially my lovely friends and the great salsa scene, but couldnt face grey skies and rain after living in the sunshine. my dad's egyptian, so voila! i moved to cairo in february.

egypt rocks - specially the pyramids (geddit?!) ;). it's ramadan now though, and all the salsa clubs have closed down for the month. a month! :eek::eek:
  8. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

Wow, I didn't know one could use priceline-US for foreign hotels. I looked at priceline-UK and it wasn't as good as hotels.de (fewer choices in fewer cities).

EGC and NSS in a single European congress that is really amazing. Actually, right now that would be amazing for any US congress.

There are several hot new young bands coming out Puerto Rico right now though, they are likely to get a lot of exposure at US congresses. Stay tuned.
  9. MacMoto

I don't think you know me, but I used to live in the UK (moved to Tokyo this year) and you were kinda famous in London... ;)

No salsa for a month? Not sure if I could handle that...
  10. MacMoto

Exactly.
  11. TrulyMadlyAmanda

i'm giving autographs now, LOL. ;):rocker: especially to any guys who want me to sign naked body parts... :tongue::tongue:
  12. pr

pr Capitán Del Estilo

Welcome Amanda! :D
  13. TrulyMadlyAmanda

thanks pr! :cool: like me, arent you another salsamafia.com refugee, or am i just seeing ghosts everywhere....? ;)
  14. pr

pr Capitán Del Estilo

I don't think that I posted anything on salsamafia but I visited it. ;) Edit... I have posted something on salserosweb though. ;)
  15. TrulyMadlyAmanda

LOL, they hate me at salserosweb (a mainly Los Angeles salsa forum). before everyone starts to think, "hmm, what's wrong with her", i've always been pretty popular, on the internet and in real life. i dont know why i hang in there at SW....especially now i've found this lovely, upbeat, friendly forum - with actual discussions about salsa. :cool:
  16. pr

pr Capitán Del Estilo

I just told them about the Scandinavian Salsa Congress... ;) I don't think I'm a member there any longer. I think the site got hacked and everything was deleted...

I love Salsa Forums much better! :banana: :D
  17. Brownskin818

Brownskin818 Shine Officer

HA! The board doesnt hate you hun. It's just that most over there know who the trolls are and simply avoid feeding them, even if that means letting callous, nonsensical, and over-the-top stuff slide. Your not-so-warm reception is mostly from said trolls who you've obliged to feed. imo.

Welcome to this board though! It's moderated against troll types. It's about salsa. And the posters are from everywhere. So I'm sure you'll find this a better home. :cheers:
  18. TrulyMadlyAmanda

thank you! :cool:
  19. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

bump.

I just reread this. I can't believe I am going to be quite close, relatively speaking, and not go. I booked my trip to Barcelona many months ago and I could have gone to Athens instead and would have been in the right place at the right time.
  20. noobster

noobster Shine Officer

You could try easyjet or ryanair maybe? Last time I checked they didn't serve Southern Europe very well but if you can find a cheap flight it's not at all a long one. You could jet over for a couple of days and pick up your Spanish holiday where you left it off.

Homeric Tours used to arrange super cheap charter flights to Greece but I don't even know if they are around anymore.