Adapting to the Salsa Schedule

Discussion in 'Just Dance' started by opm1s6, Oct 28, 2008.

1. opm1s6

opm1s6 Sabor Ambassador

So I'm dancing at least 2 hours a night with about 4 hours two or three times a week depending on the week. It comes out to be about 16-20 hours and it's starting to take a toll. I'm pretty tired tonight and it's barely 11pm.

I don't think it's that much considering some teachers have to go hours per day, every day and teaching is as intensive if not sometimes more so.

What would you do to keep yourself going physically? I'm thinking addign vitamins and an extra meal is pretty much in order. I'd go into further detail, but I need more rest...4 hour stint tomorrow.
  2. jayzen

jayzen Tumbao

Actually, the only thing that really works is rest. As in life, everything needs to be balanced.

J
  3. theamoebaman

theamoebaman Son Montuno

Basically rest when you can. Getting your general fitness level up will help as well. Also once you start getting used to it, your body starts to adapt to your salsa schedule. I dance 2-3 times a week with one of those times being training with the performance team. I also go to kickboxing 1-2 times a week and go to the gym 3-4 times a week as well (usually before going out to salsa). Over time I found that I am able to adapt to the schedule but will always makes sure I get enough sleep especially on weekends. It's not unknown for me to be asleep by 10pm some nights as well.

Also when I'm out, I make sure I'm well hydrated with lots of water and usually sports drinks like gatorade. I avoid alcohol as it dehydrates you and I also try to avoid energy drinks like red bull unless I really really need it. I've found that with energy drinks, it gives me a spike for ab few minutes (usually just 1 dance) and leaves me even more exhausted (I did a lot of testing at the last Sydney Salsa Congress).
  4. MacMoto

MacMoto Administrator Staff Member

I'm lucky that I'm self-employed and working from home, so I can keep flexible hours ;)

I am sleeping a lot less than I used to but I seem to have adapted to that okay - I occasionally need a 5 minutes nap in the afternoon, but that's about it. I do exercise regularly (gym twice a week, long brisk walks whenever the weather allows) and my energy level seems to have gone up since I started salsa - I'm dancing 5-7 nights a week (even doing two venues on some weekend nights) and am still always complaining about salsa nights not going on long enough :lol:

I agree with theamoebaman re. hydration. You never see me without a bottle/glass of water. Not just at salsa venues but also when I'm working, working out, walking...

I also eat a lot :roll:
  5. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

I think like sleep, there is a general healthy amount for everyone. There is an ideal balance but some will sleep/dance more and others less.

For you, you need to find your balance/optimum. Where quality is high throughout. So it is both adapting your schedule to you as much as it is you adapting to the schedule. As the good posts have said, all about a balance.

Plus aligning your map/journey to your goals. Eg. I dance a lot but that is because I do a lot of different styles as I want to be well rounded.

Keys:
    - listen to your body/health. It comes first. It does so much for you so be nice to it - eg. * distinguish messages like I dont feel like it from I should not do it
    * focus as much or more time into recovery as you do into your dancing. Eg. cross training, pilates, yoga, gym etc. Massages, physiotherapy etc.
    * mentally prepare yourself for the stress (eg dance drama). meditation etc.
    * Ensure you have a very organised non dance life to sustain you. Eg. the real world such as bills, cleaning, cooking etc as this can be neglected.
    * plan meals in advance for certain nights. Eg. I try and eat before I leave work to sustain me to my next meal.

share your own tips as you get them :)
  6. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

I catch up on sleep on the weekend. I rarely get up before noon and I am totally worn out and tired all week if I do.

There are people who studied sleep patterns and the results were surprising. The Euro-American pattern of 8 continuous hours of quiet time is unusual in the rest of the world. The afternoon siesta is very common in the non-industrialized "no time-is-money" economies.

I wish I could take naps at work and I say beware of meetings in darkened rooms with slide presentations at 2pm after lunch = perfect siesta opportunity.

I do find that I get to bed on a more regular schedule when I go out dancing than when I stay home, surf the net, listen to music and lose track of time.
  7. maartenvdpol

maartenvdpol Changui

Perhaps it's not my place to be answering here, since I've only been dancing for 1 month now. But before I used to train semi-pro swimming and trained a steady 10 times a week, 2 hours per training. I think that if your body is used to excercising a lot (which requires a good build-up or foundation) the amount of time dancing does not matter.

What does matter is the amount you spend trying to learn new things, that's what is exhausting. That's why I apply this in my dancing now, 4 hours a week learning new things, the rest (appr. 20 hours a week) is just for repeating what I know, having fun dancing and social dancing.

Hope this helps you...

Cheers
  8. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

I'd agree with that! It's not nearly as exhausting to just go social dancing several times a week than it was doing classes and learning all the time and trying to apply what's learnt during the social sessions.

When you're having fun you're so much more relaxed. The less stressed you are the less Cortisol your adrenal gland produces. Long-term, chronic or continuous stress such as in modern life has been shown in studies to be bad for you. If you have a high stress life try to use your dancing sessions as a relaxation from everyday stress.

stress.about.com/od/stresshealth/a/cortisol.htm
  9. bailar y tocar

bailar y tocar Clave Commander

Exercise has other benefits too ! This year I started biking regularily. I averaged 20-30 miles per day on good weather days and it seems my whole metabolism has shifted even though its too cold to go biking anymore.

Dancing is most excellent for flexibility, agility and ... social grace.
  10. azzey

azzey El Sabroso de Conguero

Let's not forget the most important point ; puts a smile on your face too. :)
  11. smiling28

smiling28 Moderator

WOOHOO - great to see Azzey posts, hurray!
  12. Jolinia

Jolinia Descarga

I wish I had the energy level of you guys!

I take salsa classes twice a week (one with a social afterwards), go to a social or club on Saturday nights, take yoga classes once a week and meet with non-salsa friends once a week. I found that I need the other nights to recharge my batteries at home.

The fact that I'm an early bird and salsa clubs and social opening hours are usually made for night owls doesn't help. Still hoping for an after work salsa party or Sunday afternoon social that would fit more into my biorhythm than late-night dancing during the week.

I had phases when I went salsa dancing more often (almost every night) but after a few weeks I was just so sleep deprived that I reduced it and I manage well with my current schedule.